ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > New Features
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Inventory Locations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Inventory Locations
    Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:18pm
**I placed this under the wrong topic. If a moderator can move it to the New Features and Suggestions I would appreciate that. Thanks**

I was not able to find anybody else mentioning this yet so maybe it's not that big a request.
I deal with a lot of apparel items and they turn around quite often. My inventory locations are constantly changing and normally I would cross reference a sheet that showed where I can find the item the customer wanted in my small but very full "warehouse".

What I did a while back was modify the PC files to accomodate this. Now when I print out the pick list it shows where the product can be found. There are several files to be modified plus an update to the products table and this is why I'm asking that you include this in a future PC update. Each time a major update comes out I have to modify the new files. This seems to be something that many people would use, or at least I would think.
Below are some images of how it works:

This image is when a new product is added. The addition is located under Inventory Settings

This image is when a product is modified. All apparel products need to be updated as well with the inventory location. Here you can see the location of the product in the warehouse.

This next two images show the Inventory Settings page at work. You can individually set the locations to products or set the same location to all products.

Finally, this last image shows the Pick list printed when viewing all orders

This is just a request to have this added in a future release. If not I'll just keep modifying the files with each major release. Hopefully there will be enough requests to have this implemented.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rick_N - 04-January-2009 at 3:23pm
EveningSecrets Lingerie...what 'every body' wants
EveningSecrets Lingerie
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:38pm
Actually, I had to add a warehouse location to a store this past week.  I didn't take it quite as far as you did, but now that I have seen what you have posted I may propose such a change to the client.

That field specifically has not been asked of me before, but adding new columns to the product table is one of the most-frequently requested changes I make to stores. 

I would like very much to see EI add a feature that allows new product table columns to be added, similar to search fields but it goes no further than to facilitate entry of a new value to the product table and that's it.  Once the data is captured, the developer could then decide how to make use of it, such as displaying it on a page where a link to a "user guide" or a "stock availability" message would appear.
GreyBeard Design Group
Certified ProductCart Developer
Web Design/Development/Hosting
Add-Ons & Custom Code | Stores
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:47pm
Well you make a very valid point about being able to add fields to db tables. I can see issues with this with inexperienced users and maybe this is why we were never given the feature.
I have not had to make many changes myself so I never thought of creating a script to do this for me. I cannot see it being that difficult and would be easy enough to do in an include file.
There were other files that were changed as well. The globalchanges.asp needs to reflect an overall addition to the Inventory location as well. I never made any changes to the import products or export products file since it never applied to me but if someone wanted to go full tilt I would imagine those would need changing as well. The main advantage I find is the simple addition of the Brands drop down list. Now I simply select a brand and I can modify those items only.

If I have to make changes down the road to tables then I'll consider making a script for adding fields to tables.
EveningSecrets Lingerie
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:58pm
I'm actually exited about what you have done.  It used to be easy for us to find stuff in the warehouse, but as we have gotten larger.  Now it is sometimes hard to find items, especially the overflow boxes.  We have only a certain amount of space on the reachable shelves and some items need to be parked somewhere else in addition to what is on the shelves.    They usually end up on the bottom shelf or somewhere else on top.  The areas we don't like to reach that often and therefore prevent back injuries.  That is where all our overflow goes.  Perhaps that can also be incorporated with what you have done, unless that field allows more content.  This has been request several times in the past and I think it is time to add it.    It would be nice, if you share the files with IE.  Perhaps they will incorporate it.
Thanks for sharing your images.
Katharina
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 4:10pm
Hi Katharina,
the field size can be set to whatever is required. I have it set as a text field with a field size of 20 right now, but it would need to be bigger if you wanted to add something like:
Located in bottom left corner of shelf B
Since this has not been done in the past I'm sure EI would look into what they feel is the correct size. For printing purposes I would assume you do not want to have it too big, perhaps 50 chars at the most.
Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. I have no problem in letting EI have the mods. I'm sure they can figure it out easily enough however. The more feedback the more likely they will implement it.

Thanks!

EveningSecrets Lingerie
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 4:19pm
I think what you have would be just fine.
We have things by row and shelf letter.  Kind of what you show.
Row 3, shelf B = 3B
I would list the normal shelf and overflow like: 3B, 5D
Right after the original one, no explanation needed for us.  This would be enough since the 2nd entry is overflow.  Your field width of 20 characters would work just fine for us. 
Lets keep our fingers crossed that they will take it from you.  I love that you are willing to share it with them, and I see the cut back on maintenance on your end.
Katharina
earlyimp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2009 at 4:22am
The Custom Search Fields feature, substantially revised and upgraded in version 3.5, can definitely be used for this purpose.

Remember that custom search fields now...
  • are unlimited (any product can have any number of custom search fields)
  • can be hidden completely from the storefront
  • can be imported (so you can upload custom search field values quickly)
  • can be shown on the Control Panel search pages as custom filters
  • can be shown on the "Modify Product" page
  • can be added and removed to/from multiple products at once
... so you have to start thinking about them beyond the storefront. They can certainly be used for Control Panel-only tasks such as storing a product's inventory location.

All in all: Custom Search Fields are now product properties that you can use for whatever product-level specification that you need to have in the system.

Back to the task discussed in this thread:
  1. Create a new Custom Search Field (e.g. Inventory Location)
  2. Make it hidden in the storefront
  3. Update the product database importing a 2-column spreadsheet with product SKU (to match existing products) and a second column that uses the Custom Search Field name as the column name and the inventory location value as the field value.
  4. At that point, the only custom programming that will have to be performed is on the Pick List page itself, where you will need to query the ProductCart database for the Custom Search Field that holds the inventory location data.
This was the definitely the biggest upgrade to the system as part of the free 3.5 update. For details, see (and contribute to) the WIKI: http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/managing_search_fields

Edited by earlyimp - 05-January-2009 at 5:01am
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2009 at 7:48am
OK, so a little while back I asked about our general development strategy.   We frequently need to add a column to the database for some additional data element.  Let's take, for example, a link to a related manual.  At that time, you stated that we should continue our strategy of adding a field manually to the database, then add the field to the various admin tools.

I take it you are stating that the above post would satisfactorily replace that earlier strategy?  That in my example, the programming that would remain would be adding the new field to appear where we want on viewprd.asp?   And you can even name the column according to the purpose or usage?  If so, that is spectacular news.  This is a huge advancement!

GreyBeard Design Group
Certified ProductCart Developer
Web Design/Development/Hosting
Add-Ons & Custom Code | Stores
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2009 at 11:11am
Now we are back to programming.  In this case it would be the pick list.  Many of us users are not asp gurus and have no idea how to do that.  I would be one. 

I support Rick's idea of making it part of PC.  I feel that the custom fields are not really hitting it. 

Another issue is what if I use the custom field, pay for the custom programming (not counting the changes needed in future updates), and then later down the road IE adds the bin/shelf location.  Then I have to do it all over again with thousands of products.  The undertaking would be enormous.  Why not add it now, before anyone goes the strange route?

The bin/shelf location has been requested so many times in the past by other users.  Plus Rick is willing to share his files with IE.  I kindly request that this will be incorporated in an upcoming update.

Thanks for listening,
Katharina
earlyimp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2009 at 1:13pm
Katharina: too many code changes would be required and they would be a duplication of what Custom Search Fields already allow. We understand that there is a "last step" that requires some knowledge of ASP, but this is what we created a "WIKI" for.

Specifically, what we can do is posting more instructions on the WIKI on how to accomplish this, when we have a bit of time. Or anyone else can do so and then post those instructions in the WIKI as a "How To" article.

Let us stress the fact that if you use Custom Search Fields, this becomes a really, really small custom development project. Probably an hour of work at the most. It's just a matter of querying the right field on the Pick List page (batchPrintPickList.asp) and display it.

You can use the code shown here as a starting point to query the field (this code returns all custom search fields for the product, so you will have to filter by the one custom search field you are using for the inventory location).

Edited by earlyimp - 05-January-2009 at 1:14pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic