ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Keyword Generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmeinhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Keyword Generator
    Posted: 27-January-2013 at 10:02am
My website uses the menu tree, so effectively every category is visible to the search engines. my default keywords include all of these categories. Is this a good practice?

Also, if I modify specific category or product meta tags, the default keywords are not included. should they be?
Bob Meinhart
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 4:22pm
Hi Bob, search engines are far less interested in meta tags than they used to be.
Ater typing that sentence I did a bit of research.... take a look at http://www.webpronews.com/google-actually-meta-tags-do-matter-2012-03  Very worth while a read and watch the video. It's Matt Cutts - if you don't know of him, he's almost Mr Google! 
In summary - ALL search engines IGNORE keyword meta tags now BUT they do take notice of the meta descriptions.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 6:56pm
Could you elaborate on the bit about modifying specific category or product meta tags? I was under the assumption that if you edit either of those tags, then whatever you put in the text box is exactly what shows up as the tags when you view the site. Were you hoping it would also include the default keywords and then append whatever you enter to the end?

Or is the issue that, if you modify for example the meta title of a product, but not the meta description, then it stops using the default meta description and instead shows a blank description?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Hamish Hamish wrote:

It's Matt Cutts - if you don't know of him, he's almost Mr Google! 

I like to describe Matt Cutts as the Alan Greenspan of Google Search. He seems to see his role vis a vis Google Search much as Greenspan did while he was Chairman of the Fed.

Indeed, keyword meta tags have been completely obsolete for a good number of years now. However, Title tags are still crucial and description meta tags are still important (for one thing, it's not good vis a vis Google natural indexing if most of your pages have the same description meta tag; for another, on a search result page this is most likely to be the first bit of sales text a user will see -- I advise folks to think of their description meta tags as little classified ads).

As for effect of editing any of them for products, categories or content pages, I just took another look under the hood here, and unless I'm misreading something, each tag is handled independently. If it has been populated for a give product, category or content page, then that's what will be used; else, the default is used. So, if one customized their title tag, but left the keyword meta tag empty, the custom Title would be used and site default keywords would be used (not that's they'd be of any real use).

Description meta tags are a little more involved:

For products & categories, if the meta description is populated, that is used. Else, if the short description is populated then the first 200 char of that is used. Finally, if none of the above, then the first 200 char of the long description is used.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2013 at 4:12am
Also take a look at http://blog.earlyimpact.com/2011/01/google-seo-starter-guide-and.html and follow the links from there to the Google SEO guide and the relatd ProductCart WIKI page.
If you have the time and energy give categories and products unique descriptions and titles. Don't spend any time or energy on keywords at all.
I also recommend not including the standard metatags when you have specific ones coded - you only want 1 title & 1 description and it should be specific to the category or product where possible. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic