ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian GST and PST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 11:07am
Hi,
   Is the exemption from certain taxes based on the customers location in relation to the store? e.g. located in a different state?

windsurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 11:27am
Hi
I am in Ontario and normally if i ship something to a customer there would be GST and PST charged on the total price. When however i have a customer who is a reseller (retailer) in Ontario he/she would be exempt from PST if he has an exemption certificate. Of course shipping out of Province is always PST exempt. GST always applies unless the item is shipped out of the country. There are however a few exeptions to the GST where a government office in i believe alberta would not pay GST either but then they would be exempt of all taxes anyway at least for an Ontario supplier. So for me this would only apply to Ontario. Now i assume that when you designate a customer as wholesaler and tax exempt that no taxes at all would apply to that sale. I am still trying to establish this. If this can't be done we are almost forced to setup 2 stores on a different server one for regular customers and 1 for resellers. If this is still confusing one could always call me at 519 842 6510
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:07pm
Just as a follow up i am looking at the demo backend and i see
Tax Rules by Product
Tax Rules by Location
Tax Rules by Zone
I don't see " tax rule by customer" and that would probably be what i am looking for.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:11pm
I suppose one option would be to have a check button on the checkout form that would ask if the customer was  PST exempt and if this was checked there would be no PST calculated on the total. and i suppose this could hold true for any tax.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:26pm
Customers can be designated as Wholesale, in which case they are treated as TAX exempt. The only issue with this is that they potentially also get different prices and payment options if you set them up differently, but that may well be what you require anyway.

(Edited for typo).

Edited by Hamish - 21-June-2009 at 12:27pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:31pm
Hi Hamish .... Not entirely..... I need customers to be tax exempt from one tax only. There is actually no such thing as GST tax exemption in Canada. No matter what you sell there is always GST But some customers might be PST exempt. The tax exemption is not based on location, zip code but purely weather they have a PST exemption certificate regarless of location in Ontario, remember this doesn't aplly to out of province customers.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:39pm
Did  you ask Ian about this?  I do recall something to this effect coming up in the past but I do not recall the resolution if there was one.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:45pm
One other point about Wholesale customers, customers cannot, by default, register themselves as wholesale. This can only be set by a store administrator via the admin pages.

If desired it's possible to use some custom code to allow customers to register as wholesale, but the concern with that is it's open to abuse by customers who are not entitled to the privileges, prices, products, payment options etc usually reserved for genuine wholesale customers.  ProductCart also supports Customer Groups, who get different pricing from other groups and can be designated as either wholesale or retail.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:48pm
Hi Greg
I don't know who Ian is , but i am planning on calling Early Impact tomorrow. I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to do. I know the Sales Tax system in Canada is a lot more complex than in many other countries and it almost borders on the moronic but such is life. This of course doesn't apply to this situation but if i for example i install a satellite system and i install 100 feet of wire and lets say 50 feet of this wire is dangling from the basement ceiling then there would be no PSt on the installation of items that become real property but i would have to charge PST on the 50 feet of wire that is not fastened down because that is not considered real property. Just one example of how our protectors tax us LOL

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2009 at 12:48pm
Do Non-Ontario customers automatically get PST exemption? Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, the Canadian tax rules seem labyrinthine.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic