ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian GST and PST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 1:58pm
Yes that worked for a wholesale customer when i logged in but now i selected an item and created a new account as a retail customer and when i went to checkout there is no GST charged.
windsurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 2:01pm
Also the way you have the GST setup it shows selected as by country, does that mean GST will be charged to anybody in Canada ? and if so , what happens to customers who are for example in quebec who pay 13 % HST ?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 2:58pm
Hi Windsurfer,
It can be set up purely using "Tax by Zone" so customers in Ontario pay two zone taxes, PST & GST and in Quebec they have a single Tax Zone "HST".  

Would any existing Canadian Store owners care to confirm if that is how you have set it up? 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 4:40pm
Okay I just went back in and like i mentioned before i registered as a retail customer and when i purchase something there is no GST calculated. The GST is set to country(Canada) so call me crazy but to me it seems that there should be GST calculated if i specify i am in Canada.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 8:13pm
Hi Windsurfer,

Hamish is offline at the moment. Additional "zones" and "tax rules" based on those zones needed to be entered, as indicated in our documentation mentioned earlier in this thread. You can find that documentation here:

http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/tax_manual#tax_by_zone_for_canadian_online_stores

So now the tax settings look as follows (we updated the demo store that you were using, which should be the one located here):

Canadian%20tax%20settings

You can set customer exceptions for each tax rule by going into the details page (click on the tax rule name) and pressing the corresponding button ("View/Edit Customer Exemptions for this tax").

Hopefully this works for you.

Please note that our demo stores are reset regularly so the tax settings might disappear from the demo store that you have been using within 24-48 hours. We are already considering the idea of setting up a new demo store that would always have Canadian settings active. However, that's not ready yet Smile

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 9:00pm
Hi Earlyimp
I tried that and the only thing i changed is the GST which is not taxable. So i tried to enter a new customer who would be PST exempt in Ontario so i selected
New customer tried both Wholesale and pst exempt
called Joe Blow with address bla bla bla
then selected manage taxes at the bottom and selected PSt from the next page. When i selected update, the name in my record changed to Wil Heeren and saved it that way and Joe Blow was nowhere to be found. Also when i selected PST exempt the customer showed up as both wholesale and PST exempt.

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 9:18pm
Hi Windsurfer,

We were able to set tax exemptions correctly using the "View/Edit Customer Exemptions for this tax" feature.
  • Select Settings > Manage Taxes
  • Click on the tax rule that you want to set exemptions for
  • Click on View/Edit Customer Exemptions for this tax
  • Select the customer(s) to add to the exemption list
  • Click on Add Checked

See screen show below.

We are not clear on the steps you took.
Could you better clarify?
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 9:38pm
I created a new customer called Joe Blow and filled out all the information. Then i selected modify at the bottom of the screen and it saved Joe Blow as a customer and i got a yellow box at the top of the page to confirm this. Then i went to the bottom of the page where i assumed i had to select the tax exemption where it said

Customer is not associated with a tax zone rule exemption.

And selected manage taxes. On the next page i selected PST and on the page that opened next i selected "update" at the bottom and this wiped Joe Blow off the face of the earth and changed his name to mine(Wil Heeren)

Edited by earlyimp - 30-June-2009 at 9:57pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 9:41pm
Maybe at the bottom of the customer entry form there should be a button such as select tax exemptions for this customer .......
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2009 at 9:42pm
Come to think of it.... that would be a hell of an idea :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic