ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Featured products by category

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Featured products by category
    Posted: 10-August-2006 at 11:40am

I'm reading through the PC user guide and don't see a way to feature different products within each category; is this possible with PC without customizing the code?

Thanks for any ideas.

Wes

Wes
http://www.sohotoolkit.com
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 12:39pm
This is part of v3, but not part of v2.76. The User Guide for v3 will be ready soon. To feature a product within a category that has subcategories, add the same product both to the category and to one or more of the subcategories.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 2:22pm
In my version of PC (3.01) I think to be strictly accurate it's featured sub-categories within a category not a featured products that are included.

It would be very useful to have one or more featured products as well within the sub-category.

So for example -

I have an 'artist a-z' master category and the artist names as sub-categories.  I can pick a 'featured artist' therefore as it's a sub-category but not currently a featured album within an artist.

Hope that helps - I would love to see this especially evolve to have featured products within categories / sub-categories.  We would all find it useful.

cheers
Mark
1stChoice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 2:42pm

Originally posted by earlyimp earlyimp wrote:

To feature a product within a category that has subcategories, add the same product both to the category and to one or more of the subcategories.

So in this scenario would the product appear in the featured products area or would it appear mixed in with the thumbnails to the subcategories?

Thanks for the clarification.

Wes
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 3:08pm
This for me is a sub-optimal solution.  A product logically cannot sit within a sub-category and it's parent, that will just confuse customers.

Also if I add it to the parent category, it will cause my high level categories to have an expand sign and just show the one product.

cheers
Mark
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 3:35pm
Mark, that is how it works in most large ecommerce Web site. It doesn't confuse customers. They understand that if you have a category called "Laptops" and a subcategory called "HP Laptops", you might put "one" of the HP Laptops in the "Laptops" category (the parent) to showcase it, and then include it in the "HP Laptops" category with all the other HP laptops.
The ProductCart Team

MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 3:43pm
Sure, I'm not moaning about the product.

I only meant in terms of my implementaiton.

I'll have to give it some thought as to how it can work best for me.

cheers
Mark
1stChoice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2006 at 3:44pm

Has anyone setup a static asp landing page that could be set to filter out all other featured products not in a specific category?

Thanks for any ideas..

Wes
Firewalls.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firewalls.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 4:42am

I see where Mark is coming from on this.  We have run into the same issue.  I agree also that the current design doesn't make sense to have the product is several sub-cats.

Example:
Visitor lands on a sub-cat page called "HP laptops".  in this sub-cat there are 10 HP laptops to choose from.  The idea is to feature one of those models.  This helps answer the visitors questions "which one of these 10 laptops should I begin looking at"

I am not sure if this can be done in 3.x. 

Any thoughts, EI?

Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 12:45pm

You would create a couple of subcategories and add the products to those. The products that you want to feature would be added to the parent as well. In your example:

Create new categories:

- HP Laptops > Road Warriors
- HP Laptops > Gaming Champions
- HP Laptops > Light & Thin

You would then assign the 10 products to the correct category. The 2 or 3 laptops that you want to feature would also be assigned to "HP Laptops".

The ProductCart Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic