ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help improving attribute images

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cysayles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help improving attribute images
    Posted: 15-February-2007 at 8:58pm

I've tried using the attribute images for pics rather than swatches and the automatic thumbnails are very lo quality.

Is there a way to improve them? I've tried both jpgs and gifs with the same result, they are automatically generated and are both the same lo res. I also tried editing the thumbnail per line to only 2 but no improvement.

Any one have any thoughts?

cy
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 12:01pm
Instead of letting product cart generate different size images from your main image, you could just create each size yourself using photoshop or paintshop pro or any other image editing software then uploading it onto the site. With photoshop you can choose to save images for web. If the site doesn't allow you to upload your own images, you can always upload them via FTP into your site and simply name them the exact name ProductCart uses, to replace the images they create with your own. Hope that helps and I hope that makes sense.

P.S. EI, Please correct me if I am ever wrong. Just trying to help. :)

Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
cysayles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cysayles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 12:08pm

Actually I have been using photoshop and to create the 3 different sized files (the upload and resize feature doesn't seem to work quite the way I'd like).

I would like to know if there's a way of specifying the jpg for the attribute image, or if it justs gets resized automatically.

cy

cy
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 12:34pm
Not sure...which version of PC do you have? I have the standard version 3.04 with no add-ons. I think you might have the apparel add-on. If you don't see a place to specify the images from the admin section, then you'll have to upload it directly into PC through FTP, using the same name PC uses for those images.
The best way to locate those images in their folders would be to right click the image from your store front and select the properties from the drop down. It'll then give you the "location" of the image. Then follow the folders using your ftp program until you locate all of those images. I'd make a copy of that folder in case something happens, you can always re-upload the old folder. You'll have to use the same extension PC uses (e.g. jpg or gif) for those images, otherwise they won't be linked properly. Another thing that would be good is to note the size of the image and the file size of the image to make sure your images are the same size and file size, so that PC can display them as easily as they display the current images you have.

Hope that helps some. I know I've changed a lot of "stock" images this way. It's just a matter of locating them in your PC folders.

Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 12:48pm
Yes, in the apparel version, when you edit the subproducts, (i.e. the apparel settings for a product), there are two fields. One for the general image and one for the detail image. You can upload those directly to the PC catalog folder and then reference those images in those two fields. In that case PC should not resize the images at all. We recommend keeping your images for a product as close in size as possible if not the exact same size as the product page looks better that way.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
cysayles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cysayles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 12:49pm

thx, i'll try that when I have some more time.

cy

cy
cysayles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cysayles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 1:04pm

actually I just realized that the thumbnails I meant are the 'additional product views'

is there a way that they don't get resized. i know the manual says their size is dependant on how many in a row and size of detail pic.

cy

cy
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 2:00pm

I'm not sure how the size of the thumbnails is created for the additional product images but you can still FTP or upload your regular images without using the resizing feature and then select those general and detail images when adding additional images. The thumbnails, although shrunk, should stay proportional and as long as all the images for a specific product are the same size, it should look ok below the main image.

Do you have a URL we can view for the product(s) you're having trouble with?

NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 2:17pm

Hi everyone, we created a new FAQ for this:

http://www.earlyimpact.com/faqs/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=421

Cheers!

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
cysayles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cysayles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2007 at 2:25pm

that tells me how the thumbnail is created and how to set its size. i assume its doing that from the general image.

what i would prefer is to create my own 50px thumbnail and use it instead of a poorly resized image.

is that possible ... I've used javascript image rollovers on other carts and can do it.

cy

cy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic