ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

description layout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: description layout
    Posted: 20-May-2009 at 7:08pm
If anyone is looking for a easy way to implement a tabbed feature into their website, I would highly recommend this add-on from Greg's company.  It was no more difficult to install than any other upgrade from Early Impact...hah! not sure that is good thing Smile.
It does modify the pcProduct table, but the add-on includes a simple script to do that, so that was not a problem.  It supports up to 6 tabs , which you can name whatever you want, and they only are activated when there is something in the text field relating to that tab.  I just have to fill in all the information on each of our 2000 products, but Greg is working on a CSV import for that too.   
Curt
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 11:26pm
Well, that is not a PC site - it is built on another platform.  I refer to it as an example of what this new functionality can look like.  The site where I developed this tab feature for PC is not yet public.

The "specifications" field in Star contain a wide variety of data extracted from manufacturer web sites.  As to that field not being searchable, I'm not convinced (at least in that store) that this is such an issue - the client has certainly never raised it as a concern. 

I am, however, looking at the prospects of extending the showSearchResults.asp script to include the new fields I have introduced into the search results.
leeflang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeflang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 11:08pm
After using your own site link I found that you listed www.starmarinedepot.com as having te tabs and I tested there on their 'specifications' tab, which did not turn out to be searchable.

I'm not sure I understand why one would want listings that are only partially searchable.

Generally a catalog needs to be searchable in two ways:

1) Querying unstructured text (like a long description). This one is usually not well developed in many shopping carts, for lack of use of all Boolean operators and lack of option for multiple queries in one expression),
2) Querying structured text (so fields with standard content). This is usually minimally available in most shopping carts. I'm not sure though of the test site's fields under 'specifications' are really 'standard content' or if each field has variable unstructured content.

The real question is: How can any buyer understand what he is querying with Search or Advanced Search when Tabs are at play. The way those Searches are set up now, it is confusing to say the least. Tabs is a great 'visual' improvement, but it should be developed 'in context', so results-oriented, meaning that it should be developed bearing in mind its impact on other components of PC. Otherwise it has the opposite effect of what it intends, being not and easier navigation for buyers, but a more difficult one.

Edited by leeflang - 07-April-2009 at 11:10pm
Peter http://208.112.123.87/LeeFlang/Default.aspx (site under development)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 10:19pm
I'm not sure where you did that search because I have not linked to a live demo of the feature.  But the long description can be displayed in one of those tabs, and that is certainly searchable.  And if one needs content searchable in other tabs, it's possible that could be made to happen.  But at a minimum, the long description is immediately searchable.
leeflang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeflang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 10:07pm
I tried do an Advanced Search on that site using the tabs using the words Morse Code SOS and it came with zero results despite that at least one item has Morse Code SOS in the specifications.

How is the tab going to help buyers if one cannot find the content?
Peter http://208.112.123.87/LeeFlang/Default.aspx (site under development)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 7:12pm
We have developed a new add-on to provide support for tabbed product pages.

The mod includes an altered version of the product admin (add/edit/clone) tools which support additional textarea fields + the ability to define the tab titles on a product-by-product basis, along with site-wide default settings for the tabs.

One may configure the display to use the tabbed format demonstrated in EI's wiki article listed above, a method listed at DynamicDrive.com, and a method using graphical image tabs.

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2009 at 8:35pm
Just a note to using this feature.  I had products that did not have a short description, and the end result looked wrong.  The tabbed part was displayed in the short description section.  It will be fixed once you add a short description.    So don't forget the short description. 
I've also noticed that the font for the tabs was rather small.  So here is my code fix.
Katharina

<code>
<div class="TabbedPanels" id="TabbedPanels1">
<ul class="TabbedPanelsTabGroup">
<li class="TabbedPanelsTab"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Details</span></li>
<li class="TabbedPanelsTab"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Features</span></li>
<li class="TabbedPanelsTab"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Gift Ideas</span></li>
</ul>
<div class="TabbedPanelsContentGroup">
<div class="TabbedPanelsContent">These are the product details</div>
<div class="TabbedPanelsContent">This is a list of features included in this product</div>
<div class="TabbedPanelsContent">Here are some ideas of what a wonderful gift this product can be</div>
</div>
</div>
<script type="text/javascript">
var TabbedPanels1 = new Spry.Widget.TabbedPanels("TabbedPanels1");
</script>
</code>

Edited by katharina - 17-March-2009 at 8:37pm
MattW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 2:07am

We are thinking of using tabbed description fields, prior to v4. What we thought is that we would have 4 tabs. Features, Spec, Payment, Warranty, Reviews. Features would source the 'Short Description', Spec would source the Detailed Description, Paymant and Warranty would be coded into the Html as they are the same for all products and Review would source the product reviews as it does currently at the bottom of the page/ 

Only prob we have a the moment is that we are having torubl to get the reviews and warranties to appear on the correct tab. They seem to want to stick to the Spec tab.

Any ideas?

Cheers Matt
Cliffw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2009 at 12:59pm
This sounds great and we are wanting to integrate this tabbed layout on our new site.

Other than what you have described (naming the individual tabs) we would like to be able to do this on a by item basis as different types of products would contain different information and thus different tab names.
So maybe the control panel could say
How many tabs for this product, then have a database field for the name of the tab and another for the HTML description.

How long for version 4? ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 3:04pm
Based on EI's example, to which I believe you are referring, the answer to A and B is no. This might be possible if you isolated content for such tabs into individual database fields, intended for display in their respective tab, along with modifications to support your specific search criteria requirements.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic