ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bypass View Cart Screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bypass View Cart Screen
    Posted: 28-March-2009 at 1:35pm
We have our system set up so that only one qty will be ever be ordered in a given BTO session. We would like to bypass "viewcart.asp" and just jump straight to the "checkout.asp" screen from submission in "configurePrd.asp".

Is this possible and does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Geoff

Edited by hfc123 - 28-March-2009 at 1:41pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 1:45pm
I have not tested this so please understand that it may not work.

In instConfigureprd.asp, locate the redirect to viewprd.asp.  Change it to checkout.asp.

It may work, and then again it may not.  Test thoroughly.  :)
hfc123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 2:12pm
We are on the right track. However products are still added to cart even though the "viewcart" screen is bypassed.   The problem arises when someone abandons an order in the middle of the process. If they return to the homepage and start afresh, the previous items are still "in the cart".

Is there a way to clear the session, or cart so to speak, and start from scratch before every new session? Trying to figure out how to clear the cart after each abandoned session. When an order is completed the cart clears..may look for some answers there.

Edited by hfc123 - 28-March-2009 at 2:14pm
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 2:25pm
Hi,
  In pc/orderComplete.asp look for the following line :-

' clear cart data

The code immediately below that point is what you need :-)
It's very unusual to restrict customers to ordering a single item - I'm intrigued to know why, if you are free to share, just my curiosity! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 2:31pm
Items necessarily MUST be added to the cart in order to purchase it.  If the user proceeds through checkout, the cart contents will be abandoned.  If your testing demonstrated otherwise, I'd be curious about your testing procedure.

Do you have a link to the store?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 2:41pm
Hi Greg,
   I think hfc123 means when they don't complete the order, but instead go back to the home page of the store. I've had a bit more of a think about this and I suspect there may have to be a lot of places where potentially you would have to add the code, or wrap logic into the header code to manage when it's exectuted.
At the moment I suspect there may be more downsides than upsides. I suspect an alternative approach may be better, but it depends on the circumstances. Another approach would be to check, when adding to the cart, that there is not already a product added and then clear out the original item at that point OR direct them to viewcart at that point and only allow them to progress when the number of items is 1.

If I was a customer and had been through configuring a product only to have it automatically wiped from the cart if there was some type of glitch, then I may well abandon the store and go elsewhere.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 2:53pm
I like your idea of checking the cart contents to make sure that more than one item is not in the cart.

I did a mod for a restaurant which tested for the minimum quantity had been achieved as the shopper attempts to head for checkout, and turns them around if the minimum were not met.  A similar bit of logic could resolve this requirement if hfc123 agrees that the approach would work.
hfc123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 2:58pm
Thanks for the help all!

I added the following to configurePrd.asp:

' clear cart data

Seems to work great!

Truth be told, we are using ProductCart as a quotation only system, but we are doing things a bit backwards We are a fitness manufacturer and distributer who sells to hotels and resorts.

We tried the PD quote function but didn't like the mailing back and forth and approval process, so we turned the checkout procedure into a instant quote system. Customers are essentially checking out of the store. We just call it submitting a quote.

Hence, the reason for only one "qty" of BTO product, at a time as it represents a single quote.

Our pricing categories act as different users groups, and users in specific groups are redirected to a different BTO product configure page. This way, they have their own logo on the page and links to resources specific to that group. When they log off it takes them to a landing page created for that group. We also have pricing categories setup with one BTO product per user group so only approved customers have access to special pricing.

I am trying to think of where the 'clear cart may cause problems, but we only have one entry point into the store and that is a direct link to "configureprd.asp?idProduct=XX" based on user group.

hfc123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 3:03pm
actually when the user logs on it takes them to custPref.asp which links to configurePrd.asp or custviewpast.asp

grylff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grylff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 1:08am
Thanks for posting... ' clear cart data worked for me too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic