ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please. Problem with SEO mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecotutor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please. Problem with SEO mod
    Posted: 01-April-2009 at 8:55pm
CryI have just implemented the SEO mod. I have pushed up the files for version 3.51 (my current version of ProductCart) The hosting company had to make the changes to IIS 404 error handler for me as I do not have rights to do that myself. Since they have made the change, my site still loads but if you select any product from the nav bar, it states "The system cannot find the specified path". The site has essentially been disabled for ecommerce. The URL's have been modified, however, to a more search engine friendly wording so at least that part worked. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2009 at 9:01pm
Please make certain that they correctly set the 404 handler.  It must explicitly be set as a URL and not a file path.  If set as a file path, the error you are receiving is what I would expect to receive.
ecotutor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecotutor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2009 at 10:17pm
Thanks, Greg. I have contacted the hosting company and they have confirmed that the url handler was set to a URL and confirmed the URL was correct. They have now taken it upon themselves to return the site to its original settings for 404 error handler so it is showing a standard 404 error code page not found. My site is still not accessing any product links and I don't know what to try next. Any other suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2009 at 10:34pm
ok, the next thing to check is what they typed in.  I had a situation like this with another PC user this week.  They had indeed used a URL reference, but they had typed in www.domain.com/productcart/pc/404.asp.

Try "environmental-education/pc/404.asp".  If that is what you already tried, and which did not work, try adding a slash "/" at the beginning.
ecotutor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecotutor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2009 at 8:10pm
Just wanted to give you an update regarding this problem.  My hosting site would not implement/try the suggestion above regarding the URL. Their solution was to copy the 404.asp file to the root directory  (that's the way they handle the 404 error in their company). So....... I gave in and properly moved/saved the 404.asp file to the root, changed the links in the code and all is now well after almost 24 hours with the site being down. I appreciate all of the help that you gave me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2009 at 8:26pm
I'm glad it worked out but that policy certainly seems rather rigid. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic