ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

category name in SEO URLs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gessepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gessepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2009 at 12:25pm
Is there anyway to not have the c434.htm on the end.
Tom
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2009 at 12:21pm
The URL will be similar to that (it would be http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/pet-products-c434.htm), assuming you setup your server to handle that feature and turn the feature on in the Control Panel. Again, see the documentation for details.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
gessepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gessepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2009 at 12:13pm
For instance this is the way the url is displayed now for the category Pet-Products.
http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=434

With version 4.0 will this category display url be:

http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/pet-products

Edited by earlyimp - 24-November-2009 at 12:21pm
Tom
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2009 at 12:05pm
We do not understand the first message. Please see the documentation on Keyword Friendly URLs for details on how to use this feature in ProductCart v4.

As for the second message, you can log in at: http://www.getmailup.com
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
gessepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gessepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2009 at 11:55am
Also what is the url to the mail up console. I just installed a new computer and all of my favorites and bookmarks are gone and nowhere in the backend of product does it provide the url to get to the mail up site.
Tom
gessepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gessepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2009 at 11:53am
Is version 4.0 gonna have the Isapi set up to display the name of the category instead of the long string in their now. As well as the product pages.
Tom
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2009 at 1:42am
Hi Brian,

Aside from the duplicate content issue, which is a serious SEO issue Google make no bones about, I'm also concerned about the URL directory structure here.

I was discussing it with an SEO guy today (trained at StomperNet, which I have a lot of respect for), and I learned that there was more to this than I had been thinking.

I had beening thinking that Google PR had to do with clicks away from the home page and that there is a modicum of keyword relavance when the searched for keywords exist in the URL. And while there is some truth to that, here is a more important factore for Google -- the directory structure as they use it to interpret Information Architecture.

That is, Google looks at the directory structure and makes some assumtions that the more slashes there are from the root, the more "buried" in the site this content is, and therefore the less relevant it really is. StomperNet has tested this and found it to be true and recommends that one really never go more than three subdirectories deep from the web root for an important content.

What is more, PC really exacerbates this with their directory structure which already forces two subdirectories in a URL.

All of this being said, I think are are potentially some serious concerns with your URL rewriting approach.

Looks to me like this thread could have a really good discussion about these SEO issues. And belive you me, I know how SEO can be maddening to try to figure out what is the real answer to many SEO questions. I always say that if you ask two SEO guys one question, you will get six answers, LOL!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2009 at 6:33pm
Hi Brian,

How are you protecting against duplicate content being indexed under these different URLs?
BrianRoden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianRoden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2009 at 10:11am
Sean,

Regarding your question about which category name would be displayed for a product in multiple categories, or the category vs. subcategory name, on our company's main (non-PC) site, here are multiple links to the same product, with the friendly URL stuff generated based on the path taken to reach the item if you started from the home page:

On the first one, I went to the DVD section, and clicked directly on the item
Second, DVD category, then Crochet subcat, then item
Third, Crochet category, then item
Fourth, Crochet, DVDs, then item

The .net code-behind uses the values passed in the URL to build the breadcrumb displayed on the product page.

We use the free DLL from www.urlrewriting.net with regular expressions to handle fiendly URLs. Our pattern is

Probably not the most elegant URL scheme, but this was our first major .net site (redesigning a 10-year-old standard ASP site), and the first time I've ever had to hand-roll SEO (instead of it coming from a CMS).
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2009 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Sean@WMS Sean@WMS wrote:

Sorry, Greg. I might not have been clear enough about what I meant here.

OK, I see that now.  ISAPI for 301 redirects is fine. 

And I am thrilled that the SEO mod will be built into V4.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic