ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to show images based on dropdown selection?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to show images based on dropdown selection?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to show images based on dropdown selection?
    Posted: 30-July-2009 at 10:40am
We want to be able to display dynamic images of our items in every BTO Product we have.  As of now, when a user makes a selection from the drop-down box, an image is not available, even though we have “Show Image” checked in the BTO Product Configuration.  The only way that an image is available is when using Radio Buttons or Check Boxes.  Is there a way for the images to appear to the side when a user makes a selection from the drop-down box?  There's clearly space for an image (thumbnail atleast) to the right of where the drop-down boxes are placed by default.

I'm not experienced in ASP coding, and was told by EarlyImpact that changes would have to be made to the source code.  I'm not really sure where those changes would be made.  I'd appreciate any help for this issue.  Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2009 at 5:01am
Hi rt,

I'm very interested in making this modification as I'd also like to do this for a store I'm starting myself, but I also think this could be a popular add-on.

What's more, there is the same issue in the Apparel add-on version of PC.

Just sketching it out right now, but both should be able to be handled by a bit of AJAX and then just figuring out exactly where to place the image once an option is selected.

Thing is, we are working on a BOAT LOAD of add-ons and mods for PC right now, so it might take us a couple of months at this point to get stared on this. It's definitely a good idea, though.

rt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2009 at 10:14am
I've seen a store that uses the Apparel Add-on, and they have the dynamic images I'm looking to use.  For theirs if you select it from the dropdown, it changes the image, but there is also a swatch underneath the image, and if you click on a swatch color, it changes the image and updates your selection in the drop-down box.  I don't know if they had that customized for their store, but that would seem like a route we could take.

However, it would seem to me that it's either a bug in the code, or was intentionally left out to encourage selling another add-on, that Show Image works for Check Boxes and Radio Buttons, but NOT drop-down boxes.  Maybe someone could help shed some light on this for me.  Thanks.
bpsz18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpsz18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2009 at 8:39am
What site was using the dynamic appareal add on? I would like to see how it looks. THANKS
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2009 at 8:46am
The early impact demo is available here : www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/apparel-addon-demo.asp Or take a look at some real stores : www.earlyimpact.com/stores.asp
- each of the stores listed has a note next to it of which indicates if it uses the Apparel add-on. 

Edited by Hamish - 05-August-2009 at 8:46am
rt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2009 at 1:24pm
The site I was referring to is http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/ , or http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/products/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4580&idcategory=4 for an example of what I was talking about.  As far as I know, from speaking with the person who's website that is, they didn't make any customizations other than what came with ProductCart and the Apparel Add-On.

I recently purchased the Apparel Add-On, but still haven't been able to get it to match up with our BTO Product items like it should.  Without giving too much detail, I'll sum up what we're trying to do.

We have a Custom BTO ProductABC.  ProductABC contains 3 separate parts, TopABC, MiddleABC, and BottomABC.  TopABC and MiddleABC are Apparel Products, which you would make your selection based on dropdown boxes.  TopABC would have 20 categories to pick from (similar to "DryBees Prints" from the website I listed earlier), and once you select one of those categories, a generic category image would be displayed.  Then a second drop-down box (like "Size") would list the available items within the category you previously selected.  Once you make your selection in the second dropdown box, the picture would change to the item you selected in the second dropdown box.

I was able to configure MiddleABC to show items, because they are more like an Apparel item; ItemA, ItemB, ItemC, ItemD, ItemE, each being available in 10 colors.

One issue is, the final item you select in the 2nd dropdown box of TopABC is an existing item, which we don't sell individually, only with ProductABC (the custom BTO product) and other similar custom PTO products.  I found I could change the SKU and item pictures after generating sub-products for TopABC, but wasn't able to do this by category, or assign existing products as sub-products.

We are okay with BottomABC being radio buttons, because there are only about 5 BottomABC items to choose from.  These show a thumbnail which can be expanded to general view, or More Details for a Detailed View.

However, when selecting TopABC and MiddleABC, you can only see a picture of the item by clicking the More Details link, or when you go to make your selection.  We would like to have an image of the final selection you made on the same page.  So you can see the generic ProductABC image at the top, and as you scroll down the page you can see images of TopABC, MiddleABC, and BottomABC, so you know what your custom ProductABC will look like.

We're stuck, and don't really want to upload the rest of our product data into our store before we have this all sorted out.  I'd appreciate any help you all can offer.  Thanks.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2009 at 2:04pm
Hi,
  The example at pinstripesandpolkadots is a pure Apparel Item, which is different in execution and display, to apparel items embedded within a BTO product. Each apparel item within a BTO product is displayed in a pop-up box, the pop-up box is basically the standard apparel add-on page. To display the image of the selected apparel item within the BTO product will require some custom coding.
rt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2009 at 2:13pm
I see what you're saying Hamish.  That makes more sense.  However we still have the issue of adding existing items to an Apparel Product, and having the two dropdown boxes with category and sub-category.
Sangano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sangano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2009 at 4:27pm
Sean

I'd love to know when/if you come up with something.  I'd pony up the cash for it!

Alan
M Robles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Robles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2009 at 3:35pm
I am also interested in making the standard BTO configuration display a small thumbnail image to the right of the drop down input field. I can sorta understand why it isn't a standard feature when drop downs are used, but I would think there has to be a method of turining on the small product image when a selection is made from the drop down configuration.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic