ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - One Page Checkout: Love it? Hate it? Fine with it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One Page Checkout: Love it? Hate it? Fine with it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Page Checkout: Love it? Hate it? Fine with it?
    Posted: 02-April-2010 at 1:17am
One of the major things EI tried to push forward with v4 is the One Page Checkout. Having consulted with them a bit on it, I know they really did their homework on OPC theory and that one of the exemplars in the industry they were comparing against is Gap.com (though one must keep in mind that the Gap is just one company with a lot of money with their very own business rules, while PC is a generic shopping cart system that must accommodate all kinds of possible business rules, so that makes a BIG difference in why PC v4 OPC is not just like the Gap.com).

I think it is generally a good idea, and is definitely industry trend and in theory should mitigate against abandoned carts because of "form fatigue" (customer see too many fields at once) and because of posts backs between steps (having to keep submitting back to get to the next page; may take more time for some users or sites on overloaded shared servers, etc.).

What is more, it's not truly OPC if one is using a payment gateway, as that would be extremely difficult to do the way PC integrates gateways, and changing that would be prohibitive given the scores of gateway integrations, not to mention those with custom gateway integrations PC doesn't support Out of the Box.

Finally, I'd really rather not mix up OPC with Guest Checkout, as these are completely different issues, and v4.1 will address that (or for the "must get out of that now" crowd, our Guest Checkout Eliminator will tide you over).

So, with all of that as intro, I'm really curious what feedback folks have one the v4 OPC.

I'm curious because I've heard some folks says they've tracked an increase in abandoned carts since they upgraded. I find that surprising. Also, I've currently a client who keep sending me examples of things that are not even OPC, but he things they are because most of the fields are all open without needing to "continue" (not to be confused with causing a post back like on pre v4 PC stores).

I'm sure that EI would be curious too as they are ramping up for the release of v4.1, no doubt.

PS: It's also true that v4 OPC makes customizing even the smallest thing way more challenging for developers. Might be worth a different thread for feedback there.
benpate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benpate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 1:11pm
I have seen cart abandonement drop from 75% down to 60%. I think some of that could have resulted from fixing errors since we were running 3.051 and then upgraded to v4. As we do not have any errors showing in the error report but we use to have them everyday before.

The biggest problem I have with OPC is that if you are running a payment gateway then its not really a true OPC. And if you are running offline payment processing then it would actually be considered a two-page checkout. login and OPC

The second issue is that EI has not upgraded Google Analytics (GA) to the new Async code which allows for event tracking and other useful features. For me this is a must because you need to be able to track the sales funnel and see where people are dropping off. The previous checkout was very easy to setup the funnel in GA but the new OPC is not. If you dont mod anything then all you can see in the funnel is viewcart, opc, authorize, and orderComplete. Obviously, there are a lot of steps that occur in the OPC and you are blind as to whats happening there and where people are dropping off. I am in the process of implementing the new code now.

I havent looked at the gap.com website and I am not sure who developed it but I personally would have looked elsewhere for inspiration. For example, amazon.com, buy.com, or elasticpath. Speaking of elasticpath,  they have a VERY interesting case study that can be found here where the original version was very similar to the current OPC with offline payment processing. They call this a two-page checkout.

I have no doubt that EI put a lot of thought and resources into creating the OPC, but I think that they may have put too much thought into making it cool and nifty instead of brain dead simple.

I also agree with you Sean that modifying the OPC is much more difficult then the previous.

With all that being said, I am still very happy with having chosen EI as our shopping cart provider Smile
ProductCart SEO - Resellers and Affiliates welcome
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 1:33pm
Ben's comment about brain dead simple is why I went and found this image last night.

I think that what the market may have been hoping for, versus what we ended up with, may have differed.

To expand on Ben's analogy, it's really a 3-4 page process since the confirmation page then appears at the end.

And clearly, altering OPC is one muthu-hubba more difficult than the legacy stuff.  I miss the legacy approach.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 2:02pm
My dad hates the one page checkout. He argues that it's not one page when you have to press a continue button so many times. I agree, ditch the Ajax, it's just a gimmick. Give us a simple checkout form and use Ajax only for validation. One long page where a person can enter all of their info would br superior.
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 2:14pm
I agree with Brett.  Keep it simple, and stop the confusion.  We have way to many inexperience online shoppers.  We cannot just have them all call us for phone orders, because they are confused.  I'm all for several pages.  Billing and shipping on one page, select the shipping option on the next, display total order and enter coupon/discount, continue to payment page.  The only other option is a very very long page.  EI indicated in one post that they may work on the option of choosing which checkout method for the store owner with one of the next releases.  Please do.  I know it is a lot of work, but it will satisfy many store owners.
Katharina
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 2:29pm
Thank you for your feedback. Of course, we are listening. That said:

(1) Negative feedback on One Page Checkout has been very, very limited
(2) As we said before, we have actually received positive feedback on the drop-off rate, not negative, just like Ben Pate reported above (although he indicated it might have also been driven by a more robust, error-free checkout process).
(3) The "guest checkout" login problems (confusing messages when logging in) have already been solved and will be part of the upcoming v4.1. In addition, Guest Checkout has been turned into an optional feature. We are considering posting a patch for v4 with these changes.
(4) Developing One Page Checkout was a project that required hundreds of development hours. Creating a new checkout system will be no different. The number of variables and scenarios to keep into account is astonishing. This is absolutely not something that we will work on in the short term.

All in all, we have yet to see any evidence of stores reporting an increase in the drop-off rate from switching to version 4. Quite the opposite. And that - at the end of the day - is what counts (and the reason why so many of you loudly requested this substantial structural change to ProductCart while v4 was in development).

Edited by earlyimp - 02-April-2010 at 2:32pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 11:08am
I like the One Page Checkout but ...

1.  like a couple of others have mentioned I would prefer not to have the Continue button at each stage.  It jumps the customer around the page a bit too much for my liking and I think before the customer presses the process order button at the end of the page they would like to just have a quick scroll up the page to check their data.

2.  In the forthcoming V4.1 I would like to see the password field for the "Guest Checkout Disabled" option back down where it was originally under the Payment and Other Information section.  I dont think it makes sense to have it under the Billing Address.

Matt

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 2:04pm
Hi Matt,

(2) This has been corrected already.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
loracady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loracady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 3:32pm
We really like the OPC.  The continue buttons are very fluid and intuitive.  The only complaint I have is the order of the fields for the addresses.  When taking a customer's order by phone, it is odd to enter the city, zip code, country, and then state - just isn't a natural method for entering address data.  No one else on this forum seems bothered by it, though, so very likely my customers aren't bothered by it either.  (I know why the fields are in this order, but I still don't like it.)  Overall, we're very pleased with this!
www.TheSleepShop.com
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 2:02pm
We like it... but it seems like customers are confused with the continue buttons on each step. I do have 1 recommendation. I think the select a shipping drop down should be radio buttons instead.... so it takes up a little more room and a customer can easily spot it out. Basically, they will see the options for add new shipping address or use billing address without having to click a drop down menu.

Also we get a lot of calls on "How do I gift wrap this item?" Now that a customer actually has to go to checkout to add gift wrap they never find it because they assume it should happen when adding to the cart or at least in the viewcart before clicking checkout.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic