ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - One Page Checkout: Love it? Hate it? Fine with it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One Page Checkout: Love it? Hate it? Fine with it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 2:31pm
I really like the idea about the radio buttons for ship-to address.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Greg Dinger Greg Dinger wrote:

I really like the idea about the radio buttons for ship-to address.

I too am in favor of that simple change.
caughlan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caughlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 7:39pm
I'm not too thrilled with the one page check-out at all, I feel that the name itself is a misnomer. When a customer clicks the continue button they no longer see the fields they've just filled in so in effect they think they are on a new page altogether. I dislike the scrambling of the page when you click continue - oh, have I mentioned I dislike the 'click continue' feature altogether? I wish for a true one page, all fields expanded, no need to click continue checkout.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by caughlan caughlan wrote:

I'm not too thrilled with the one page check-out at all, I feel that the name itself is a misnomer. When a customer clicks the continue button they no longer see the fields they've just filled in so in effect they think they are on a new page altogether. I dislike the scrambling of the page when you click continue - oh, have I mentioned I dislike the 'click continue' feature altogether? I wish for a true one page, all fields expanded, no need to click continue checkout.

I understand the idea behind using the accordion effect, but I do agree that it's rather disorienting while moving through the process.

Should still be able to use AJAX to populate the conditional issues coming up further down the process (for example, shipping options depend upon the shipping address entered) without having to use the accordion effect.

However, here's the puzzler: what event will define when to trigger the necessary AJAX without using a continue button? For example, when would the shipping options be retrieved? After entering country? But things are also limited by state and zip code (potentially) in addition to country. How to know when to go retrieve the appropriate shipping options? In this example, a "continue" type button might be absolutely necessary. But moving from Billing Info to Shipping info? Not so much.

Similarly with entering discount codes. That has to trigger a recalculation of the cart. What event would trigger this? OnBlurr (after mouse focus is moved from this field)?

These are tricky things to work out to find that balance between presentation and easy of use in the interface and the hella complicated logic that goes into much of this.
caughlan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caughlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 10:01pm
When looking carefully at the accordion/continue issue I realize its more the layout of the default design that's bothering me - ie there's no indication of whats ahead and what's been done, the page layout is confusing etc. And that might just be a matter of altering the actual design and layout rather than the AJAX itself. One site I saw says "use this address?" instead of 'continue' and its those little things that might make the page a whole lot friendlier - maybe it just needs a designer/ecommerce-guru's touch.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 10:44pm
Who says that a really long page is preferable?

Are there studies that show that a long page that leads to significant vertical scrolling is preferable to an "accordion" layout?

As we have pointed out before, among many leading Web stores that we studied while developing "One Page Checkout" is Gap.com. Well, they use "accordion" panels and "Continue" buttons and they do one billion in sales on the Web. One billion dollars.

So, to answer the comments in the posting above:
  1. They would have changed those "Continue" buttons if they ever created a usability issue. Don't you think?
  2. They've used an accordion-based "One page checkout" for years now. They would have dropped it long ago if it was confusing customers.
We are and will always work hard to improve the checkout system. We certainly agree that improvements can be made, and we are making them.

But suggesting that the current layout should be dropped and replaced by a long checkout page that will force customers to perform substantial vertical scrolling while trying to checkout is not correct in our view and not something that we will implement.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by earlyimp earlyimp wrote:

Who says that a really long page is preferable?
But suggesting that the current layout should be dropped and replaced by a long checkout page that will force customers to perform substantial vertical scrolling while trying to checkout is not correct in our view and not something that we will implement.

While I've a few clients that confuse the long page/all fields revealed layout with One Page Checkout theory/practice and they seem to think that would be preferable, I disagree with them and agree with EI here. While I don't have studies at my finger tips at the moment, I've read them and I've as many other clients that know that the full set of fields is psychologically traumatizing to end-users and does lead to abandoned carts.

However, I think the issue here should be about balance. Merchants have a concern here, and I think some of them are not unjustified. Comparing with Gap.com is not exactly an apples to apples comparison as they have business rules that make things simpler for them whereas PC has to handle a very complex array or possible business rules. So it is different that than Gap.com and is a bit different from one PC merchant to the next.

There are many cost/benefit analyses to be made here in an effort to move towards a bit better balance that leads to the most "abandoned cart resistant" OPC in this context. I hope that this thread contributes ideas that can make a more refined version that approaches a better ideal of what this PC OPC can be.

Bottom line: I think it is indeed all going in the right direction, but it also could use some refinement to dial it in really well. There's probably not going to be any way to make everyone completely happy, but then PC is a generic shopping cart meant to handles ALL KINDS of business models, so it would be unreasonable to expect this from it.

Merchants that aren't completely happy with what results from this have the option to get PC developers involved who can customize the functionality to match their preferred behavior based upon their specific business rules.

I'm going to listen more here on this thread and then do a new top to bottom evaluation and add my recommendations next week (I hope; time provided).
caughlan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caughlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 12:16am
wow - I'll have to assume there was some mystery post other than mine that you're referring to. [edit: referring to the EI comments]

What I said was that on further reflection my issue was just design related. And I thought I posted it quickly enough after my original post to state that I see what Sean was referring to and I gave it more thought.

Makes me afraid to contribute to the conversations guys.
Stacelynn

FYI This is what I'm implementing... I just think its a little easier to follow, what can i say

Edited by caughlan - 08-April-2010 at 12:22am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 12:59am
Originally posted by caughlan caughlan wrote:

wow - I'll have to assume there was some mystery post other than mine that you're referring to. [edit: referring to the EI comments]...
Makes me afraid to contribute to the conversations guys.

@caughlan

You are making good contributions here; please don't shy away from contributing further.

There are many threads on issues related to this topic. That might be why you are feeling that more has been said here on this than you see on this thread. Also, I think EI is responding more generally here than to just you even on this thread.

The checkout process is super crucial. It takes a log of work to build a good site, populate it with product, optimize is for SEO/SEM/SMM, get the traffic and then convert that traffic to sales. That last part is hugely dependent upon the checkout process -- real shame to see all of that effort to get a client to this point and then maybe lose them. So, all the input we that can be gathered here on this thread will definitely help to make the next upgrade of PC all that much better.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 2:22am
Stacelynn,

Thanks again you for your feedback.

We considered your suggested layout (screen shot above) as a possible candidate for One Page Checkout during development. Sean will probably remember this as well.

There are many reasons why it did not make the final cut. Among them:
  • Some panels may need to be hidden (e.g. order that does not require any shipping): when that is the case, the numbering has to change dynamically and there are some technical challenges in making that work correctly in all scenarios
  • Some initial feedback on this design had indicated that customers did not like the idea of being told right away that there are many "steps" between them and the completion of the order.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic