ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emailing with Gmail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publiclumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emailing with Gmail
    Posted: 08-April-2010 at 12:07pm

Hi everyone,

Im having a bizarre problem with my email server. Im hosted with godaddy but am using Gmail for all my mail, including the smpt server. When customers submit email to me using our contact form, the email is kicked back with this error code:

"Diagnostic-Code: smtp;553 sorry, your mail was administratively denied. (#5.7.1)"

The kicker is some people have successfully used the contact form to send me an email. At first I thought this was a spam filter but it does not seem so.

Also, when I use the test options on the email settings, I am able to send myself emails successfully.

Also, I am receiving order confirmation emails from the system without problem.

The only recent change made to my system on the backend was the changing of dyanamic/static pages using a 404 error page. I am unsure whether a change to IIS settings may have anything to do with my current email problem.

The question remains whether I am having a ProductCart problem with authenticating emails that are coming from our contact form and therefore kicking them back.

Thanks,
Craig Sarafa
Public Lumber Company
Publiclumber.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 3:28pm
Hi Craig,

The SMTP 553 error means that relaying email is denied.

Do your have your email settings configured to authenticate SMTP?
publiclumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publiclumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 3:41pm
Yes, I am authenticating the SMTP through gmail. But speaking of authentication, perhaps the SPF records are blocking it? Some emails are working and some arent. Would gmail be blocking these?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 3:51pm
That's strange. The error does mean that it's not trying to authenticate, but rather to relay the email.

If that's not it, then I don't have any other ideas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publiclumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 4:07pm

Its kinda weird, but it would seem that emails from yahoo, gmail, or aol servers arent being kicked back, but other ones are getting through to me. Is it possible that this could still be a relay problem?

Craig
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2010 at 4:17pm
Don't relay through GMAIL. Use a separate SMTP service. For example, you could use a service such as http://www.authsmtp.com/
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publiclumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2010 at 10:40pm
I switched smtp relays and it seems to have corrected the problem. Thanks for the help.

Craig Sarafa
Public Lumber Company
313-891-7125
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic