ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I exclude products from FREE shipping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I exclude products from FREE shipping?
    Posted: 26-April-2010 at 8:10am
Hi All,

Quick question concerning Free Shipping option....

I'm currently using only a custom shipping method where the buyer get free USPS First Class shipping on orders above $19.99, otherwise shipping is $2.99.  (package must be 12oz or less) This is fine since 98% of products are within the weight limit for First class mail.  Most items are shipped in a bubble mailer.    

One order I had recently was for an 8oz liquid product, the customer purchased 6 of them.  His total bill qualified him for the free shipping, but his weigh limit exceeded the First Class requirement and the order had to be shipped Priority mail.  The customer had already paid for the order so I didn't want to ask him for more money.

Is there a way to check the order total and weight during the check-out process? Or can I custom code somewhere for those SKU to make them unavailable for free shipping?

Would setting up the USPS shipping method help with this in any way?

I'm wondering how others are handleing this.
Thanks,
St_Pierce
AHG2009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AHG2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2012 at 10:10am
HI St_Pierce, Did you ever find a solution for this?  I am experiencing a similar issue.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2012 at 5:56pm
Hi,
  Just as important a question... If you offer free shipping on an order of 1 item, but charge shipping for 6, what is to stop the customer placing 6 orders instead of 1, which hits you with 6 credit cart fees and still leaves you carrying the can for the shipping? That's something no shopping cart could deal with. What's the break even on the shipping? Bigger orders should end up with a lower marginal cost for shipping of each one, so an order of 6 is likely, I suspect, to end up making you a greater profit than an order of 1, even allowing for the extra shipping costs. Of course YMMV, but you are still left with the potential of customers splitting orders to get the free shipping. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic