ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Using BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Controling stock qty on option

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Controling stock qty on option
    Posted: 14-April-2011 at 2:46am
I have been testing the demo store and wanted to know if I am making an BTO product and have an inventory item as a pull down in the configuration set up, can I force the qty to be a value I want?  If I use the show qty box they get to put in anything they want but I want it to be a set qty for each product I am building.

I also do not want to force the qty in the product or use the minimum because that SKU or option will be used in other BTO products with other qty's.

In my first example I would like to make it a qty of 16 and then on another build it will be 20 for the same product.

It is like in the demo were there is a category for memory and say instead of using the option to allow the user to pick 2 sticks I want to force it to be 2.  But in another build I want it to be 4 sticks of the same memory.

I hope this is not confusing.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 3:28am
This is unfortunately not supported at the moment. You have two options:

- Customize the product configuration page

OR

- Not show the quantity box and use a different SKU, specifically created for that purpose (e.g. "2 units of product XYZ"). You can quickly duplicate a SKU by using the product cloning feature.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Joeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 4:03am
How hard is it to learn how to customize the configuration page? Where, after we purchase the product is the file kept?  Can I see a sample of the configure page to see if I can understand it.  I have programmed perl and php so just wondering how this was done.

Joe
Nathan-Conbrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan-Conbrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by earlyimp earlyimp wrote:

This is unfortunately not supported at the moment. You have two options:

- Customize the product configuration page

OR

- Not show the quantity box and use a different SKU, specifically created for that purpose (e.g. "2 units of product XYZ"). You can quickly duplicate a SKU by using the product cloning feature.

Was support for this changed? I am a new customer and wish to do something similar. Using different SKUs does not sound like a good idea for me so I'm looking for alternative solutions.

Was one ever found?
Joeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 11:40pm
Hi Nathan,

I have not been following this product but as far as I know they do not have a solution for this yet.

If you find something please post it here becasue I still do not have a solution for my company.

What are you trying to do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan-Conbrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 11:50pm
I'm thinking of selling a computer, this computer can take 4 sticks of RAM.

I do not want to have to make multiple SKUs up to represent 2GB x1, 2GB x2, 2GB x4... 4GB x1, 4GB x2... etc etc. as that will spiral out of control when using server boards that take up to 24 sticks etc.

I was hoping I could list the same item eg SKU1 multiple times (but it seems I can only have a single SKU once) in my RAM category in the BTO item and then force a quantity for each listing of that SKU with a radio button or drop menu to pick one of the options. eg.

quantity:1 SKU1
quantity:2 SKU1
quantity:4 SKU1
quantity:1 SKU2
quantity:2 SKU2
quantity:4 SKU2

Failing that, listing them this way (below) and being able to limit the maximum quantity a customer can pick for the item, in this case 4 (so I don't get someone trying to get 80 sticks of RAM).. eg.

[x] [ quantity ] SKU1
[  ] [ quantity ] SKU2
[  ] [ quantity ] SKU3

Do you have a better idea for this small issue I'm having?

Thanks

Edited by Nathan-Conbrio - 17-March-2013 at 3:56pm
Joeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 12:10am
No idea I am not using the software yet.  I am using Xcart and there configuration but it has some issues as well. The problem I am having with xcart is I have to come up with several configurations and force them to use one. So now they have to see many possibilities instead of being able to make there own. I sell drum sets. So I have 100's of combinations of shell sizes and have to create each one and then they can configure what they want on my creation. I would rather have it so they create the drum set with what they want and then based on what they created give them only the possibilities that can only happen.

So in your case it would be the customer picks a motherboard for his computer and it can only have 4 possibilities of memory and the configuration only allows the possibilities you want and will not allow 80 sticks of ram.

Same with my drum sets. Customer picks a 5 shell set and can have any 5 shells he wants and after they are picked he can only have the items that go along with those shells so he can't have any more. 

I wish the administrator or owner of this software would really look at what we are wanting. Or if it were possible to program something let us know what language or if it were possible.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 7:03pm
Hey guys - here is a store I'd like you to look at:

You will note that this particular product is configured to ONLY allow the selection of 5 colors - no more and no less - it's got to be exactly 5.  I show you this to give you an example of the sort of mods that are possible with BTO.

To customize the system for Nathan's 2nd example (the 1st one seems potentially impractical), one would have to make an alteration that allows us to declare the quantity of units that MUST be purchased.  When that new field has been introduced, then on the front end we would have to lock down the input field so that no quantity changes can be performed - they have to buy the quantity you declared on the admin config screen.

At the moment it would be hard to give you an exact schedule due to our immediate workload.  But if you can be flexible in terms of the schedule, and want to discuss your project, I'd welcome  your contact.  I also don't want you to feel that nobody is paying attention to this thread.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan-Conbrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Greg Dinger Greg Dinger wrote:

To customize the system for Nathan's 2nd example (the 1st one seems potentially impractical), one would have to make an alteration that allows us to declare the quantity of units that MUST be purchased.

Thanks for popping in Greg.
Do you know if it can be customised so the customer can enter any quantity they wish, but it can't be higher than n?

eg. For a motherboard with 4 slots - they can not buy more than 4 sticks, but they can buy from 1 to 4 sticks.

It would be a nice start - eventually I'd like them to be able to mix sizes.

eg. 4 slot board again, 3 sizes of memory available. 2, 4 and 8GB sticks.
Customer can (if they wish) get 2x 4GB sticks and 2x 8GB sticks, but can not have a combination with more than 4 total sticks.

Any idea if this type of customisation is possible with this shopping software?

Thanks
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2013 at 10:37am
I don't see why not Nathan, so long as there is a predictable set of rules one is to follow. Over time we have achieved success with far more difficult tasks.

Give me a call at my office if you'd like to discuss this in greater depth.  We should also discuss your scheduling preferences and determine what is workable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic