ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Make free BTO options say FREE instead of nothing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make free BTO options say FREE instead of nothing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make free BTO options say FREE instead of nothing
    Posted: 06-January-2012 at 2:53pm
I'd like to display "FREE" next to all BTO options which are no upcharge or downcharge.

For example, on this demo site page: http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/build_to_order/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=423

You can see the 40gig hard drive is checked by default. I'd like to display FREE to the right of that, so the customer knows it's free.

I believe this is one of those changes that, if you know where to look, will only take a few minutes and a couple lines of code to change.

Figured I'd see if anyone else has solved this issue before I begin looking through the code. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the BTO javascript functions.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2012 at 5:24pm
Hi Brett,  I'm sure I did this some time ago, although on an earlier version of ProductCart, it was pretty straight forward as I recall. Which version of ProductCart are you running?
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2012 at 5:16pm
We could use this too.  There is also a little detail we could use with customizing free items in BTO.

Certain products we offer multiple items for free (in one case we offer 7).  Originally we just mapped each category, selected the 1 item, and changed the price to 0.  It made the page very long.  So what we did was made a hidden category called "Special Offer" with all the items that are free and made a rule that made all the items be selected.  It looks cleaner and the page is shorter.

Works well except for a tiny detail which is on the product detail page.  When it lists the standard items above the customize button, the free items won't show up.  I can select only 1 item on the configuration page which will show.  I'm guessing the rules don't go into effect until you're on the configuration page.

So in our case we have 3 choices.
1.  Keep the items in separate categories (which makes the page long).
2.  Skip the product detail page (would have the product description on the configuration page which makes the page even longer)
3.  List the items that are free in the short description (i think our best option, but it would be another thing to manage while configuring BTO)

We just can't win with BTO :(
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2012 at 6:36pm
Hi,  Can you provide a link so I can take a look.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2012 at 6:39pm
Ah, I'm guessing you mean not being able to select more than one default item? Is that the case?
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 4:58pm
Yea. I sent A PM with the link.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic