ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many products can this cart handle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruSake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many products can this cart handle?
    Posted: 06-January-2014 at 1:51pm
Hi,
I was wondering how many products can this ProductCart handle?
I have well over 25,000 products in over 400 categories.
It takes me about 5-10 minutes to load the products in Control Panel when using 'Locate a Product' or just  accessing 'Products' under Categories.
Also related, the Search on the website takes about 1-2 minutes to actually search for products.

Am I right to think this ProductCart is not made to handle that amount of products? or is it something else that may be wrong.

Edited by TruSake - 06-January-2014 at 1:57pm
steverguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2014 at 10:24am

I don't know what the limits of Product Cart are as far as number of products, but the type of database you use can have an effect on performance - for example, an Access Database will go slower than a MS SQL database.

Edited by steverguy - 24-January-2014 at 10:24am
"Remember, 72.5% of all statistics are made up."
RedLeafDev View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedLeafDev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2014 at 8:14am
As mentioned in a previous comment you would be limited if you had an Access DB instead of a MS SQL DB. If that is not the case then I think you need to look at your database and make sure that it is performing as it should. What version of PC are you running? Check your site file via FTP and make sure that there are no large files that are being written to. In the CP logs folder (every time you access the admin this folder gets written to). 

We have a client with over 1.4 million products in their database and the front end of site loads fine. That is because we fine tuned the code to perform. We added a full text search and setup indexing on the database. That client does not use their back end for product management - so that was not an issue for them in the project. 

Email me directly if you want to chat more. 

Amy
Red Leaf Development

www.redleafdevelopment.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2014 at 1:27am
There is technically no realistic upper bound to how many products a store can have; there are several in the 500K+ range. However, certain things will have their limitations, mostly in the control panel. That being said, what you are describing in the control panel does not sound right -- those things shouldn't take anywhere near that amount of time to load.

On the front end, as Amy suggests, text searches will benefit greatly from full text indexing. I understand that v5 will be dropping support for Access so that the application can take more advantage of features of SQL server, such as this, which Access will not support. Point there is that the continuing support of Access databases has limited some efficiencies that could have been -- and will be -- introduced.

Are you using cross sell relationships extensively? We have found some serious inefficiencies in the scripting logic behind determining whether to show the "at to cart" button on category, search, etc. type pages which dramatically slow down loading these types of pages. You can quickly check to see what impact this is having on your front end by toggling the "quick buy" feature off (which will bypass all of that logic). If you find that makes a significant difference, please contact me and we can get that shored up for you.

It's also a well known issue that using custom search terms and the Narrow By feature on the front end will slow things down. If you are using that feature, we have mitigated against this on sites needing this feature by pulling in the Narrow By feature via AJAX so that it loads independently of the rest of the page (category an/or search results pages).

As with these couple of suggestions, lots of things depend upon the features you may be using.

That being said, I am very curious about what you report on the Locate a Product feature in the Control Panel. that just doesn't sound right and leads me to wonder about the connection speed and bandwidth between your site and its SQL server (I'm assuming you're running SQL).

At the end of the day, though, the number of products itself is not an issue. Issues would be with the health of your application hosting environment, and then potentially with certain features (and how efficient they may or may not be at the scripting level).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic