ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WordPress Homepage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WordPress Homepage
    Posted: 17-March-2016 at 4:43pm
Could someone please advise what technical or compatibility issues there would be (if any) with integrating a homepage designed in WordPress with a ProductCart site? I'd like to know if it's possible, and if it is, what is the benefit of doing so? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Polar Products
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2016 at 5:14pm
Product Cart has robust home page options that allows you to do quite a bit without any complicated integration or coding knowledge. You get a text editor for content that allows you to use different fonts and styles, change colors to fit your theme, bulleted and numbered lists, and quite a few other options. You can manage how many featured products you put on your home page and show off other areas like best sellers and specials. There are also options for building a slide show on your homepage. Stores using Product Cart have made some truly remarkable homepages using these options and themes. Take a look at http://www.productcart.com/ecommerce-showcase.asp for some great examples of what you can do with Product Cart.

From a technical perspective it may be difficult. Product Cart and WordPress were not written in the same language. If you wanted to show off products dynamically you will end up writing quite a bit of code to get the name, image, description and link to the product. You may also have to make some modifications to Product Cart to make sure links go back to the homepage.

There are a lot of sites that use WordPress as a blogging platform and Product Cart as a store but WordPress usually takes the role of handling blog posts, news articles, and periodic columns. Product Cart usually takes care of everything related to the shop, static pages (like return policies and contact forms) and the homepage.

Was there a particular feature you are looking for in WordPress that made you think about doing an integration like this?

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
highgravity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highgravity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2017 at 1:35pm
You mention the ecommerse-showcase page and these sites look great but I've been using ProductCart for 12 years now and to say making the sites look like the ones you showcase can be done without a lot of coding experience is quite the stretch.

I know enough to be dangerous and I can't even get my drop down menu to look like I want it to.

You're standard themes all look pretty much exactly alike but with a different color theme.

You state in your documentation that 3rd party themes can be installed but nowhere can I find where themes themes can be found. 

I absolutely love ProductCart and the features it provides but easy theme integration and customizing isn't there yet for those who don't understand coding.
Desiree Knott

High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies

7142 S Memorial Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74133

(918) 461-2605

desiree@highgravitybrew.com

http://www.highgravitybrew.com

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2017 at 2:58pm

The post above was about moving a homepage from WordPress.  In such a case, you could copy the HTML from the WordPress HTML editor directly into the ProductCart HTML editor.  That you can do without any coding knowledge.  The themes in our showcase are all created by professional designers.  To make something look that nice from scratch, without any design or HTML experience, would be a tall order.  However, you can go to pretty much any theme store online and get a "bootstrap compatible" theme (just Google for "bootstrap themes").  It's very easy to split the theme into the two ProdcutCart compatible theme files.  The top of the purchased HTML document goes into “header.asp” and the bottom into “footer.asp”, and we have some articles that cover this in more detail.  You only need basic HTML and CSS knowledge to do this, but you can hire a web developer for a few hours to get it done.  I'm planning to do a video on this topic sometime soon to show how quickly it can be done, but we're also going to be releasing some fresh themes this year.  Make sure you are subscribed to our Twitter feed and/ or newsletter so you get notified when we release the new themes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic