ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google product feed XML ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google product feed XML ?
    Posted: 28-June-2016 at 12:05pm
Hi,

I've just tried exporting my product catalog as a Google product feed and ended up with a space delimited text file instead of the XML I was expecting. This is not for Google but for a product that accepts Google's XML format - is there a way I can get what I need here ?

Thanks
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2016 at 1:49pm
@johnb12,

Google Shopping feeds are tab delimited.  If you are looking for the XML Sitemap, then use the menu option...

"Settings > Images & Navigation > Generate Sitemaps"
johnb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2016 at 5:07pm
I did mean Google Product feeds - the standard and more commonly used method is the XML format, the majority of third party applications that support the feed accept only the XML.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en

Thanks anyway
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2016 at 6:04pm

That link doesn't seem to provide guidance on which format to use.  I don't believe they have a "standard".

In the following article under "Choosing the correct format" Google recommends txt over xml for most small merchants (I think they mean merchants without technical staff, not catalog size).

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188478?hl=en

In the following article they go over both options and list pros and cons:

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160567?hl=en

Text makes sense for ProductCart because it is human readable, can be opened in a spreadsheet and easily modified without technical coding knowledge.  The advantages of XML do not seem worth losing the ability to easily "tweak" the feed in Excel. 

Did you run into a specific reason why the txt method didn’t meet your needs, or were you looking for XML because you read Google preferred it?

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2016 at 11:17pm
I think his point was that he is trying to feed *something else* that accepts Google's XML format.  Is that correct John?
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2016 at 8:06pm
@johnb12,

Feel free to post back with specific details, or PM me.  We're not opposed to offering another XML feed in Google's specification if it opens the door to more integration. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic