Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generating static HTM pages
    Posted: 11-October-2008 at 3:48pm
This thread is now closed as there is an article in the ProductCart WIKI dedicated to using keyword-rich URLs in ProductCart. See: http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/seo-urls
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2008 at 5:33am
Many sites that run ProductCart have added it to an existing site, so having everything in the root would be a very bad idea for those stores.

The whole folder depth issue as far as SEO is concerned just doesn't hold water in my experience. For example, I just googled "bananas" , got 20.4m hits and on the front page after wikipedia, youtube and a couple of others is :
  1. Cool Planet - Bonkers about bananas

www.oxfam.org.uk/coolplanet/kidsweb/banana/index.htm - 13k -
     4 levels down

2. BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Bananas could split for good

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2664373.stm - 45k -
    5 levels down

3. Yes - in 10 years we may have no bananas | Environment | The Guardian

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2003/jan/16/gm.science - 81k -
    5 levels down
There are the SEO rewrite techniques available, but mostly it's down to good old fashioned content and graft to build a well respected & linked to site.
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2008 at 3:54am
The folder structure is not something that can be easily altered at this time, and the impact on search engine rankings is negligible if you have your category pages 2 levels down, especially considering that the "productcart" folder can be renamed to a strong keyword phrase for your Web site (e.g. if you are selling outdoor furniture, that folder could be renamed "outdoor-furniture").

The SEO technique discussed here (.htm URLs) cannot be embedded into the system out of the box because it relies on the assumption that the server can support it, which is not always true. In other words, this cannot be turned into an "On/Off" feature, unfortunately.

Edited by earlyimp - 12-September-2008 at 3:54am
The ProductCart Team

nathan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2008 at 8:56pm
If PC cared...

Why doesn't PC work in the root directory and make an option to turn on static pages?
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 7:41pm
To answer your questions:

(1) The script is probably looking for a querystring from which to extract the category ID. The querystring is no longer there and therefore the system is unable to determine the category ID. You can instead extract the category ID from the following session variable:

session("idCategoryRedirect")

The code would be very similar to what you see towards the top of the viewcategories.asp page. Note that you cannot use the code "as is" because the "validNum" function may not be defined. If you need additional assistance, please contact Certified ProductCart Developer.

pTempIntSubCategory=session("idCategoryRedirect")
if pTempIntSubCategory = "" then
    pTempIntSubCategory=getUserInput(request("idCategory"),10)
end if

'// Validate Category ID
    if not validNum(pTempIntSubCategory) then
        pTempIntSubCategory=""
    end if
intIdCategory=pTempIntSubCategory

(2) This is not an issue because a search engine bot would never add a product to the cart and then spider the links that are a result of that action. To a search engine bot, the shopping cart is always empty.
The ProductCart Team

blkg37 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2008 at 9:34am

Thank you for the support and the great addition to this shopping cart ! I am new to working with this cart, but have experience working with shopping cart software now for about 6 years.

I recently installed this URL re-write and it works very well. I have 2 questions/issues after the install

1. Before the install the left side navigation would show the sub links after a main category was clicked on. For example Widgets it the main category and under that are red widgets, green widgets, and so on. Before the update when i clicked on Widgets I would be taken to the widgets page and on the left side nav bar Red, Green, ect would be shown. Now these links are not visible. I use a customized side navigation and the only thing i did was change the old urls with the new ones. Any suggestions on how i can get this functionality back?

2. The only other issue i see with the re-write is that in the shopping cart. After adding a product to your cart you see the product in your cart with a clickable link. The clickable link does not use the re-write, and possible allowing a spider to crawl the old urls. Has anyone else noticed this and what are you thoughts on possible issues?

Thank you for your response

Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2008 at 6:11pm
No, recently viewed items would not be seen by a search engine bot as they are based on a cookie that is saved to the user's desktop. So there is not implication in terms of SEO. There are some technical issues with getting those links to use the SEO routines, so we recommend leaving the code "as is".
The ProductCart Team

rkashyap View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2008 at 5:17pm
I implemented the 3.11 SEO mod for static pages. All the links have been change to static links EXCEPT the links in the "Recently View Products" section. Have I don't something wrong? If I have not gone wrong do you know if these links get indexed by search engine? I believe that even if these links don't get indexed by search engine then also i would be nice to have them as static links.

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 10:03pm
I spoke with someone on the phone recently who did it. He didn't make it clear as to how difficult it was. 

Personally, the obstacle for me would not so much be the associated difficulty - it's the prospects of having to edit every future patch or new release in order to continue to support that structure. 

What do you feel is to be gained?  Do you feel strongly that the effort is justified? 

I  have one client who was going to have me install the SEO mod, and he also owns a Volusion store.  His experience has been that diligent efforts to submit his store, and proper keywording of his products and categories has allowed his new PC site to advance in search engine rankings far faster than the Volusion store that's been around for years.  Unless you have already tried and not been successful, I'd suggest pursuing all typical "best practices" for performing SEO enhancements before taking the route of what you propose.
rkashyap View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 9:29pm
I am considering modifying the code further to remove productcart/pc/ from all static urls. Would you suggest that? Would it require a lot of modification?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic