ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Pages Out of Supplemental

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Pages Out of Supplemental
    Posted: 11-July-2007 at 2:23am
Hello All,

Recently, I'm finding more and more of my product pages becoming supplemental results in Google (I suppose because Google is cracking down on duplication). I write each product description myself, so it is original stuff. I'm also losing ranking with my keywords.

My guess is that google is also indexing my https pages which I plan on working on (from the advice found on this forum), but another problem is that my products can be found in multiple categories. I don't know how to fix this using robots.txt.

viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=200
viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=200
etc.

The only help information I could find:
Either exclude all dynamic pages or list each page separately. That would not be practical as I have a lot of products and each product is available in multiple categories.

I don't want to switch right to the HTML generator as it's still in beta and also because quite a few of my interior pages have achieved pagerank.

I hope someone has found a solution to this problem. Please help as I cannot find an answer anywhere (I've read the files on robotstxt.org already)
mimpoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mimpoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 11:52am

Actually Switching to the HTML Generated pages do not solve the problem since the static html pages also have differnt page name if it's in a differnt category.

this is the link to the product in the classic category

http://www.chevellejewelry.com/gold-diamond/pc/14k-White-Gol d-Diamond-Tennis-Bracelet-175p3011.htm

this is the link to the product in the diamond bracelet category

http://www.chevellejewelry.com/gold-diamond/pc/14k-White-Gol d-Diamond-Tennis-Bracelet-213p3011.htm

I was wondering if the way to solve the problem was to leave out the category id - and have the category saved as a session variable.

clueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2007 at 1:34am
Mimpoz,

Could you expand on what you wrote, i.e. "leave out the category ID and have the category saved as a session variable."

Do you mean exclude the category ID using robots.txt? If so, could you tell me the syntax:

User-agent: *
Disallow: / (what should go here?)

Having the category saved as a session variable requires asp programming, doesn't it? I don't understand this.

Technically-challenged.
mimpoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mimpoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2007 at 11:19am
No I do not meant to put in a robots.txt. I mean you should us a session variable that would save the category id to be retreived in the viewprd.asp page - which requires asp programming.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic