ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much can PC handle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much can PC handle?
    Posted: 08-November-2011 at 12:17pm
We have an opportunity for a marketing campaign that will drive over half a million visitors to a couple of products on our site in a a few hours. Will PC be able to handle this load?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2011 at 6:41am
If it isn't to late to answer the question - that's a massive load on the servers.  I expect you would experience problems. The infrastructure is keyin something like this & I don't know of any ProductCart sites running anywhere near that level of volume, so it would also very severley stress test the software.      
intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2011 at 4:35am
Last year one of my customers ran a national newspaper campaign and they even got their product mentioned on a very popular daytime TV show. The site had 44gb of traffic in one month and their sales were phenomenal. A lot of this traffic was concentrated into just a few peak days. ProductCart handled it with ease and we had no down time. The customer was on one of my dedicated servers which I use exclusivley for my own web customers.

I'd have to check back to see what the peak visitor volume in terms of visitor numbers. My stats record this daily so I couldn't give you any guidance on what would happen in a few hours.

On a note of caution, a well known UK company, Ebuyer, ran a national £1 sale this Monday where they would offer a number of clearance products for just £1. They asked their customers to 'Like' their facebook page and in return they would give them early access to the sale. 51,000 liked the page though I'm sure many more tried to access the site for sale items. The site crashed under the weight of traffic and was down for a large part of the day.

I don't know what system they used or what server set up they have but it was a customer relations disaster for them.

My own view is that ProductCart would cope if you are running an SQL database on a seperate dedicated database server and you have your own server for your site (not shared hosting) in the same data center. Of course this also depends on the specification of your server.

Nigel

Edited by intour - 30-November-2011 at 4:36am
Innerview
Productcart Platinum Reseller
Web Design/Hosting/Virtual Tours
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic