ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shipping or Delivery fields

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cborj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shipping or Delivery fields
    Posted: 05-February-2008 at 11:56pm
We're a catering company so don't want or need a Ship To field but we do need  Delivery fields.  I'm new to BTO Early Impact and not a programmer but would like to make this change.  Does anyone know how?
CB
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2008 at 5:43am
Hi CB,
    Isn't this just a language issue, or did I misunderstand?
If so you can just edit incudes/languages.asp and change the wording.

For example :

dictLanguage.Add "english_CustviewOrd_13", "Shipping:"
could become :
dictLanguage.Add "english_CustviewOrd_13", "Delivery:" 

Cborj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cborj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2008 at 3:33pm

Can it possibly be that easy?  I'll let you know.  Thanks for your response!

CB
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2008 at 8:35pm
If it doesn't look like the answer let me know.  Don't forget there is a bto_language.asp file as well.

We developed a site for a client a while ago that was delivery or collection only, so I should be able to look and see what we changed.

Apologies if this is to obvious but after making any obvious updates to the languages file  -
To save crawling through the source code I find it useful to walk through the pages on the website looking for wording we want to amend. A quick look in the languages file and, if I'm being really careful, a search against the code for the matching variable from the languages file usually suffices to confirm the needed change.

Cborj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cborj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2008 at 9:09pm
Thanks very much.  I have found a couple of instances and made the change to the language file.  One worked as expected but one I obviously have not located the correct language file.  It's like a little treasure hunt.  I've started a list of the file name and the original line of code, noting the change I made.  I've also saved a copy of the original file.  I feel like I'm treading on very thin ice here so being very cautious.  Thanks again for your gentle help and helpful hints.  I'll take a look at that bto_language file.  Would not have thought to look for that name.
CB
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2008 at 6:10am
Hi CB,

Good luck with your changes - if there are any that stump you let me know.

Regarding the tracking of changes - yes VERY important. We got bitten by that the first time we did an upgrade. The technique we settled on for future upgrades was :
- Take a copy of the original (as supplied by early impact) file and put the productcart version number on the front. So  languages.asp becomes V305_languages.asp
- Edit the file putting in comments within the code so we can easily identify where the changes are. In out case we wrap changes in comments with the  word "caerus" within them.
- Create a V305-Caerus_changes.txt file - which is a document detailing the changes and WHY .

This approach allows us to see a list of all the files together we changed for a release as the originals all start with the release number V305 etc and  easily see what changes we applied.  We then have the fun job of cross-checking with the files in the upgrade and to see if any need the changes need re-applying .

We also use a utility to allow us to compare files (in our case GVIM)

We should really use a proper source code management tool,  but this  works OK for us.

Hope I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs! :-) 

Hamish

Cborj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cborj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2008 at 3:01pm

Are you for hire to work on our cart?

CB
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2008 at 10:43am
Hi CB.
    I've sent you a PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic