ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Base - necessary?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Base - necessary?
    Posted: 26-June-2008 at 8:53am
Is there a reason to submit a file to google base if you're sure the google spiders are finding and reporting on your dynamic product pages?
scarlettscloset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlettscloset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 10:34am
Google spiders will ensure that your pages are indexed. I believe that Google Base ensures that your products are indexed and ranked in Google Shopping (used to be Froogle.) I update every week as I add new products. 
Scarlett
chris_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 6:21pm
Google Base is a free tool to list your products. We get a good amount of traffic from Google Base.

Chris
bfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 12:47pm
Anyone figured out how to automate updating the file?  I try to run the upload from Google Base on a schedule every 30 days, so that I do not have to go and upload it manually but it fails everytime.  I do not see where I can set the Product Cart Control Panel to an automated schedule.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by bfc - 08-December-2008 at 12:48pm
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 2:45pm
This is not needed. You can now tell Google Base where to locate the file, not vice versa. Same as what you do with a Sitemap file (you can tell Google where to locate your sitemap). It's a new feature that you will find in your Google Base account. The feature is called "Schedule Upload".
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
bfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 2:57pm
I have it setup for schedule upload, but it fails everytime it tries to upload.  Maybe it is the loation of the url I told it to use, what url should be entered?  The product cart control panel main page or a different page?

Thanks for the help!
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 4:42pm
The URL to the file. Create the data feed and click on the link to it that ProductCart shows you on the confirmation page. The file will open in your browser. Copy the URL in the browser address field into the "Url to the file" input field on the "Schedule Upload" screen in your Google Base account.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
TrekLightGear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 5:28pm
I have setup the scheduled update in Google Base and pointed the URL to the right place but I still have to manually update the file every month because of the expiration issue.   Google Base requires you to set an expiration date for the items and it currently only allows you include an expiration date for the items that is a month out from the date of creation.  So, the schedule feature of Google Base will definitely work, but only if you remember to go into the control panel and regenerate a new GB file and update the expiration every single month.  If you forget to do that the scheduled upload fails.

Has anyone found a way around this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic