ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Base - experiences?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Base - experiences?
    Posted: 28-December-2006 at 3:54pm
I create the custom fields using custom fields using the database information after exporting into excel. Each product is a row with a unique sku. I simply added columns for the custom fields and then created some conditional code to say whether product sku123 was a member of custom field A, custom field B etc.

Save the file from Excel as *.txt and uploaded.

I was given the impression that using custom fields or otherwise providing more information increased the ranking that froogles algorithm would place against the product item. I did a bit of test which was not comprehensive but did show some impact for me.

For example using this product page:
http://www.myhealthmyworld.com/Urban-Biologics-Night-Charger .html

If I use the product name "Urban Biologics Night Charger", my page is 8 from 26 listed. If I add "Urban Biologics Night Charger calories", where calories is a custom field the product is now 3 from 17.

Geoff
thedeacon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2006 at 3:26pm

you mention customizing the google base template.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I have roughly 42 models of computers and I'd love to be able to add in the specific attributes for each machine.

Currently it only has the short description, model number and price.  Any advice would be SPLENDID! Thank you :)

scarlettscloset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlettscloset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2006 at 2:49pm
Froogle seems to be working again outside of GoogleBase. I successfully uploaded items yesterday. I agree that the EI template could be more robust. But customizing it to my google-specific attributes is fairly easy.
Scarlett
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 10:03pm
I ended up doing a customization of the bulk upload also. It was not really tricky to do - but I agree there is potential for PC to provide a better template.

I implimented various labels and custom fields which you can see if you view www.myhealthmyworld.com or just myhealthmyworld within either froogle or Google Base.

It is kinda curious however that Froogle has been presently dropped from Googles front page. Particularly given their recent move to Google express checkout.

Geoff
Kinetic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 5:35pm
The current export from ProductCart is pretty basic considering all the fields available for products through Google. Most obviously, ProductCart's export leaves off a field called "labels," which Google strongly urges you to include.

Our client's placement in Google Base improved following a manual entry of labels into Google Base. I hope it's added to the next version.
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2006 at 9:54pm
I was wondering if any one with a meture ProductCart site had any insights to share with how they are dealing with the opportunity/threat of the change by Google to provide Google base for product and review uploads?

This thread is not really focused on how to but whether anyone has experienced positive/negative ranking changes for  a productcart built site. And second ideas for strategies to take advantage of the change.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic