ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Custom Field Data on a BTO Product

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing Custom Field Data on a BTO Product
    Posted: 03-March-2010 at 4:43am

Hi all,

My BTO store is being set up to sell personalised stationery.  The customer enters some custom field wording and then goes through the configuration screen to choose things like typeface and ink colour etc.  My problem is that because the wording is not saved until the customer adds the product to their cart it is lost if the customer navigates back on their browser to make any amendments.

I wondering if there is any way to store the custom field text box as a Cookie so the information is retained ?  Would anybody be able to second guess if this might work or whether there are are any other solutions that spring to mind ?

Many Thanks
Matt
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 9:05am

This one has been winding me up all morning. 

I encountered another problem which is related and occurs if somebody takes a particularly long time to fill in our lengthy text area custom fields.  The session times out and because they havent adding the product to their cart yet the session saver does not restore anything. 
I think I have fixed this one by adding a javascript routine (with a bit of ajax) which keeps the session alive for this one page that always has our Custom Fields on it  (i.e the ConfigurePrd.asp page).  If anyone else encounters this issue I will gladly share the code.

However, I am still flummoxed by the lost custom field data that can occur after a customer progresses from ConfirgurePrd.asp to add additional charges (PrdAddCharges.asp).  The PrdAddCharges.asp includes a link in the totals to re-edit the ConfigurePrd.asp (albeit by the ReconfigurePrd.asp) button which returns to the custom field boxes with input data intact.  The same is not true if the customer clicks back on their browser however.

I thought about making the reconfigure link more obvious but I dont think this will stop some customers clicking back on their browser and losing their personalised text which takes a long time to input.
My asp and database knowledge is pretty useless but I am guessing that since there is an extra screen between a customer entering the custom field data and adding it the cart then the custom field data must be being stored somewhere.  Can anyone help with a solution to my problem?

Thanks
Matt
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2010 at 3:53pm
Shouldn't the custom input fields already show up on the configureprd page.

When you click on a bto product from the category.... it usually goes straight to configureprd.asp and that page has the input fields. Here is how ours looks.http://www.memorablegifts.com/gifts/pc/Black-Croco-Leather-Desk-Set-31p717.htm
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2010 at 3:23am
Matt: we understand the problem. Session variables could be used to temporarily store that information so that a customer returning to the configuration page from the "Additional Charges" page does not lose the data.

Those session variables would then be cleared when the product is added to the cart, since at that point the text entered in the custom input fields is saved to the cart array.

We'll add it to our development task list.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2010 at 4:18am
Originally posted by earlyimp earlyimp wrote:

We'll add it to our development task list.

That's great.  Many thanks.  For the time being I have added some text to the top of the PrdAddCharges page that warns a customer not to use their browser back button during the configuration page and gives them a link to return to the previous page via the Reconfigure.asp link.  Its a bit clumsy so it would be great if session variables could be used.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic