ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Using BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

default item for category

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreaPou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: default item for category
    Posted: 23-December-2010 at 2:58pm
Hi everyone,

I just installed BTO and I'm trying to understand something here...

I don't know if I'm missing something or if I need to find a work-around.

If I select a category, let's say with 10 items, and I choose "Display choices using check boxes".... why does the table below have radio buttons in the "default" column? (I can understand having radio buttons if I choose radio or drop-down menu... but not check boxes.)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Andrea

AndreaPou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreaPou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 2:30pm
In case anyone else needs to do this... I ended up re-thinking my categories and going with a workaround.

Instead of having a category called "Designs" and having all the items checked by default, I created categories called "Block 1", "Block 2", etc. and putting one item in each category and checking it there.

Best wishes,
Andrea
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 2:44pm
any chance you would post a link?  I'm thinkking nobody replied thus far because we're not entirely visualizing what you are doing here.
AndreaPou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreaPou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 3:31pm
I understand. I'd rather not post a link until I'm ready to go live, but here are better examples of what I'm talking about.

Let's say you're a university book store and a person goes to a page for a specific course. You could have 3 categories that are "Required Reading", "Extra Credit Books", "Pre-requisite Refreshers".

So on the configuration page for the course you want to add the 3 categories. For each category you set it to "display choices using check boxes". The shopper should be able to uncheck things when they customize, if they already have a textbook or don't want an extra credit book, etc. The goal is to sell as much as you can... so why would I want to load the page with limited items checked? Right now it is only possible to check one Required book, one extra credit book, and one pre-requisite book, despite having it set to check boxes. It's like the cart is treating them as mutually exclusive, but they shouldn't be.

Another example could be lawn care. Categories could be Lawn, Garden, Shrubs, Trees. Checkboxes for Lawn could be mow, fertilize, fix patches, rake, aerate, edge. In some cases, you'd want them to be able to do more than one of those things when you customize, but only one can be checked by default per category.

So, since you can only have one item checked per category, in order to make mine work I had to put everything in its own separate category. Cat1 = item1, Cat2 = item2, Cat3 = item3... It makes it more time consuming to configure and style, but it works.

Best wishes,
Andrea
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 3:37pm
Hi Andrea,

We are looking at adding this feature to the Build To Order system (max number of selections per category). The code is rather complex, so it's not a 1-hour project. Please contact us directly to further discuss.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
AndreaPou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreaPou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 3:47pm
Dear Early Impact,

That's great to hear. Thanks for the info.

Best wishes,
Andrea
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic