FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

non www to www redirect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: non www to www redirect
    Posted: 21-January-2011 at 10:28am
If your host has ISAPI_Rewrite on the server, they can set rules to do this. 

Similarly if the site is on IIS7, and if they will install URL Rewrite (free), simple rules allow this to be handled:
sunny155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 4:40am
Thanks for info about SEO.

But i still have a question when i open the site http://www.example.com it shows it exactly like http://www.example.com but when i open ONLY example.com it opens up like http://www.example.com/Default.asp

Why it doesn't show /default.asp when I open the www version and why it only appears (after redirect) when i open the non-www version?

I want it to appear same www.example.com and not www.example.com/default.asp (after redirect).
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 1:52am
Please note that whether or not the /default.asp displays in your URL or not is really inconsequential ... it just does not matter with regard to anything web related (e.g. rankings, search engines/SEO, store maps, store sales, etc.).

Now with that said, this feature of not having that portion of the URL show in the address bar is really more a function of how your indexes are set up in the hosting environment.  Some hosts have default indexes and allow you to set up your own and others do not.  If you have established an index page to include "default.asp" then you can safely only reference [example.com] and it will display the content of the default page without actually showing it in the Address bar.  Now, if you hard code your links to [example.com/default.asp], then it will Always show the [/default.asp] portion of the URL because that is what you are telling it to do.   (I hope that make sense)

Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
sunny155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2011 at 6:15pm
Thanks that worked nicely!

but one issue though...its adding up /default.asp after the redirect..
How to make it show only the homepage without /default.asp?

Ex- upon entering http://example.com
its showing - www.example.com/default.asp
I want it only www.example.com

Edited by sunny155 - 20-January-2011 at 6:30pm
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2011 at 5:56pm
Take a look at this page:

Scroll down to the section that is titled "Redirecting customers to WWW".   There are  complete instructions on how to force www in your URL's

Edited by cognecy - 20-January-2011 at 5:59pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
sunny155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2011 at 5:48pm
I am using ver 3.51 of PC. I want to redirect the non-www version to www version....how i can do it?

ex - example.com to www.example.com
I don't have access to IIS or Plesk.

Edited by sunny155 - 20-January-2011 at 5:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic