FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

index.html

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: index.html
    Posted: 28-February-2011 at 9:55am
Resolving the +- icon issue is as simple as creating an images folder in the root and placing those images in that folder.
dregna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dregna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 1:00am
Thanks for the input. I was able to do the mod, the only problem I had was getting the + sign from the categories navigation and the star graphics from reviews show up on the home page. I copied the "catalog" folder and put it in the root directory to solve this issue.

The rest went pretty well, it can be a bit tedious if you don't automatically re-configure links, just takes a bit of time.

My biggest cause of confusion was whether or not the page would display as www.domain.com or ww.domain.com/default.asp, thanks for clearing that up for me Greg!
Dan Regna
Pet Food Subscriptions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 8:56pm
SND uses a totally custom dynamic page, so that may not be the best example.  

A better example would be www.captainjacksalaska.com which uses the stock home page, albeit still with a few modifications.  After following the above procedure to move home.asp to the root, we then renamed that file to default.asp so that it appears as a root page and does not need to be referenced as home.asp.

Of course, in IIS you can actually cause home.asp to be treated like index or default - as a root document - but I dont see a reason to do that when renaming the file is so easy.
dregna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dregna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 7:10pm
Thanks Greg, I'm still a little confused though. Would doing the above procedure display the page as www.petfoodsubscriptions.com or www.petfoodsubscriptions.com/home.asp?

For instance, if I go to this site http://www.sndkids.com/ the url displays as sndkids.com, is that because the above procedure was done or because it's a completely static page? Thanks for any clarification.
Dan Regna
Pet Food Subscriptions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 5:26pm
Dan - we perform that procedure in an hour or two, and normally rename that moved copy of home.asp to index.asp or default.asp.  You cannot rename a .asp to .html as the database functionality of the page will then fail.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 4:55pm
The following WIKI article has some guidelines, but keep in mind that it is especially "tricky"to do in v4... and we cannot offer further assistance with this task if you get stuck.

http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/move_home_page_retain_ajax
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
dregna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dregna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 4:03pm
Hello,

1st off I just want to say how great this software is, I love it, it's been a real great experience, I've used a bunch of carts in the past and worked @ ProStores for awhile and this software blows the rest out of the water!

I have a quick question that may have been beaten to death a bit, but I can't find a clear answer.

I don't see the need to move anything to the root, but I would like to make the home page static (index.html) so people and search engines land on www.petfoodsubscriptions.com as opposed to http://www.petfoodsubscriptions.com/store/pc/home.asp.

Is there a way to simply clone home.asp and rename it index.html? I've searched a bunch of ProductCart sites and noticed many do not re-direct to home.asp, but just an index page that is an exact clone of the default.asp page.

I could manually change all the paths I suppose, but the home page will be updated frequently and changing all the paths each time would be real time consuming. I wonder if there's a quick solution anyone knows of? Thanks for any input the site has gone live :)

Pet Food Subscriptions

Edited by dregna - 23-February-2011 at 4:09pm
Dan Regna
Pet Food Subscriptions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic