ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spilled Link Juice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spilled Link Juice
    Posted: 21-April-2011 at 2:31pm
So our store just passed up 2 years since launching on the PC platform.

We have had good growth and learned a lot, thanks to Early Impact.

One thing I have noticed is that over time our inactive and deleted product list has grown with the store.

I spend a lot of time building links and traffic to our website. Over time titles change and so do our links. I might end up with 5 different URL's linking to one product. Then my boss does something like removing products without me knowing. Yikes. So now I have links pointing to a message page that says this item is no longer in the store.

I have come up with a name for this. "spilled link juice"

Traffic is a gift that I don't like to waste.

I know that I can write redirects all day long into my webconfig file but honestly I don't have time, and I am not the one doing the deleting. So most of the dead ends being created are by people that don't understand what a dead end is.

So I built a custom modification that takes care of the issue.

If an product is changed to inactive or deleted a redirect reminder pops up and allows the user to point to another product or category.

So when a person clicks on one of my old links the viewer is taken to the new "redirected" product with a message that tells them why they were redirected.

"The product you were looking for is no longer sold, but here are some similar items."

Thus they view product and not msg.asp?message=95.

While this is probably isn't the best fix, it works and is simple.

Josh
josh@location3marketing.com
801 906-8396

Edited by joshs - 21-April-2011 at 2:32pm
Josh Shirley
josh@windsurfutah.com
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 3:03pm
Hi Josh,

This is a great idea. Are you doing a 301 Redirect to the new product/category? This is certainly something that makes sense and that we will consider for a future version.

Thanks again for your feedback.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
joshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 3:59pm
As of right now it is not a 301 redirect. just a response.redirect
Debated on this. Occasionally products get resurrected from the dead. So it is nice to have the traffic remain if that is the case.

If I figure I could get some feed back concerning that from this forum.
Josh Shirley
josh@windsurfutah.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic