ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Google Merchant Center Requirements - Shoes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Google Merchant Center Requirements - Shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eeversole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Google Merchant Center Requirements - Shoes
    Posted: 03-September-2011 at 12:33am
Hi,

I am in the process of updating my store database to meet the needs of the new Google Merchant Center requirements for shoes and apparel which Google will begin to enforce later this month.  Specifically, the feeds will now require attributes for Size, Age Group, Color, Availability, Gender and Google Product Category (based on their taxonomy).  My main question is how do I add these fields to the ProductCart Google Base Feed Generator so that they will be included in the export file?

Any help would be appreciated.
steverguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2011 at 3:18pm
There is a Google Update in EI's blog that addresses this: http://blog.earlyimpact.com/2011_06_01_archive.html
That being said, it doesn't address the Google Product Category.  We're working through that right now.  I wonder if 4.5 will be more compatible with Google.
"Remember, 72.5% of all statistics are made up."
eeversole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eeversole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2011 at 3:36pm
Yes, the update address the issue with the new requirements for MPN/UPC but there are also requirements for condition, availability, gender, age group, size and the Google Product Category (as you mentioned).  On top of that if the item is apparel (shoes or clothing), there must be a separate listing for each size.  It is a bit of a nightmare but we have been using the Custom Search Fields and have modified the Advanced Product Export file to export all of the sub-products and create the feed.
rosamatsas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosamatsas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2011 at 1:15pm
I came upon your post and i am in the same predicament where i have an apparel store (shoes and clothing) and i want to be able to create a feed for Google.
Were you able find a way to assign a UPC for your apparel products from within the cart? or do you use the Advance Product Export and then amend that with UPC?

eeversole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eeversole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2011 at 2:26pm
Yes, we were able to find a work around but it did require a fair bit of manual work and some help with Greg with Greybeard.  In short, I modified the Advanced Product Export process (the ReverseImport.asp files) to produce a cvs file which now contains the new requirements.  One thing I had to do was to convert every product into an Apparel product to allow for the new requirement of submitting every size/color for each product. 

To answer your specifc question regarding the MPN/UPC, what I did was setup a new Customer Serach Field called "mpn" and then exported all of our products (parent products only) with just the SKU field. I was fortunate in that our SKU and MPN match so I simply then created an import file of only the SKU and MPN fields and then imported that into ProductCart

I'd be willing to document out all the steps I took and send them to you but I did pay Greg for some of his code work and so I'll need to check with him before I provide you anything he did.  I also spent about 6 hours of my own time getting it to work so I might ask for a little bit of compensation.  Not much, just the time it takes for me to write everything out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic