ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Using BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BTO question regarding inventory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BTO question regarding inventory
    Posted: 22-June-2012 at 5:47pm
I have a looong description of the problem we are running into setting up BTO and since its going to be long I'll just ask the question first. If a certain section in the BTO configuration is out of stock can you make it so the BTO product is out of stock?
-example: http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/build_to_order/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=515
-Let's say the company were to hypothetically run out of all their processors (a shortage, all stolen, they're defective, some inventory mess up, etc).  Would it still allow a customer to purchase the laptop meaning buy the laptop without a processor?  Is there a way to force the BTO product to be not available or out of stock if items in a certain configuration is out of stock?

Edited by GreggS - 22-June-2012 at 6:15pm
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2012 at 9:07am
Hi Gregg,
   That's a very good question & theanswer at the moment is no. To my mind the logical should be that if a category in a BTO configuration is marked as required and none of the BTO items are available then the BTO Product should itself not be available. I suspect this is non-trivial to change and there may be well a good reaso it is working as it is. We will discuss this internally to see what can be done.
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2012 at 3:15pm
Has anyone else who uses BTO run into an issue like this?  If so what did you do to resolve the situation? 

If not, is this even possible to custom code where if any category under a BTO Product that is marked as a required category and all the items underneath are out of stock then the BTO Product itself would be made out of stock (not available)?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2012 at 3:33pm
Hi Gregg,

This shouldn't be too challenging to customize. Two questions, though:
  1. Should the BTO product be deactivated, or flagged as not for sale with a not for sale message (e.g. temporarily unavailable).
  2. When, exactly, should this be changed on the fly? When the order that takes the last available required dependent product out of stock is completed (ordercomplete.asp)? When admin marks the order as processed & paid? When stock is updated via spread-sheet import?
The second question is where it gets involved, it seems to me.

Edited by Sean@WMS - 26-June-2012 at 3:37pm
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2012 at 3:57pm
1. I would say flagged as not for sale with a message.
2. We use QuickBook sync. We want it as soon as the order comes into QB, whatever action that corresponds to in PC.

If you like, I can PM you the details of the problem we are running into in trying to use BTO the way we want it to work.

Edited by GreggS - 26-June-2012 at 4:43pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2012 at 7:22pm
Hi Gregg,

We'd prefer to stay out of the QB synchronizer if at all possible, but please do PM me the details.
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 4:44pm
We're close to getting this issue resolved.  If we can one thing to work (if at all possible) we should be good.

Is it possible to custom code an option for a BTO Product's inventory to be the same as another product?

It sounds like it could lead to a lot of problems, but in our particular setup I don't think it would (but I could be wrong).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic