ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preserve category breadcrumbs without URL?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preserve category breadcrumbs without URL?
    Posted: 20-March-2013 at 7:55pm
I've been using seomoz lately to try to optimize my site. It says I have "duplicate page titles" because I have products which belong to multiple categories. Depending on which category you come from, the URL is slightly different. This is causing it to think I have multiple URLs pointing to the same page, which I guess I do.

I could solve this by removing the category prefix from the URL, but then my category breadcrumbs wouldn't work. Is there a way to move the category info out of the URL and into some other place, like post data or something? That way I could preserve my category breadcrumbs while only having one distinct URL pointing at each product.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2013 at 11:07pm
Hi Brett,

Not sure what version of ProductCart you are running, but I believe what you are describing (Canonical URLs containing the Category ID) is something that has been addressed in the latest version of ProductCart. If you are running something earlier, you can try applying the patch that was posted for v4.1 users on our Support Page awhile back:

Scroll down to...

ProductCart v4.1

Canonical URL - Removal of category ID
Since products can belong to more than one category, the Canonical URL for the product details page should not contain the Category ID. See ReadMe for details. Download fix

Perhaps that will resolve your issue.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2013 at 1:42am
My canonical URLs are correctly excluding the category, but the actual URL is still showing it. This thing is still saying its duplicate content. I want to remove the category from the actual URL while still showing the breadcrumbs. I guess there's no way to do this? I'm not sure what could pass the category info aside from the URL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic