ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Setup Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC Setup Suggestions
    Posted: 20-May-2014 at 10:07am

I'm getting ready to upgrade to 5.0 when the BTO version becomes available.  As I've been researching, I took a little time and looked at other "Case Study" websites on ProductCart's website and noticed that many of them, not all, have set up their content like this:

www.storename.com/shop/pc/home.asp > home page - redirect from www.storename.com
www.storename.com/shop/pc/viewcategories.asp > as you'd expect a PC page to be
www.storename.com/shop/pc/unique_to_industry_info_page.asp > non cart related page

I've been developing with ProductCart since 2008, but mostly with 4 sites from the same client.
I've always laid out my sites like this (non-cart content in root):

www.storename.com > home page
www.storename.com/shop/pc/vewcategories.asp > cart pages only in this directory... (in "shop" dir)
www.storename.com/unique_to_industry_info_page.asp > all custom, non cart content in root

With this structure, I have 2 copies of header.asp and footer.asp, one of each located in the root directory and shop/pc/ folders.

Anyway, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on these two different ways of setting up ProductCart.

I'm thinking about switching to the first way shown above, because my current site has several different, involved css dropdown menus.  Converting it to Bootstrap is going to take some time.  Moving it all to one folder will be easier to maintain and upgrade, I think...

This question is kind of vague probably - I'm just looking for opinions.

Thanks!!!

"Remember, 72.5% of all statistics are made up."
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2014 at 7:08pm
It's been mine & many others opinion as well as being backed up by statements from Google (Matt Cutts as I recall) that there is no SEO penalty for having a site that doesn't start at the root page or for longer URL's. People visiting the site directly should be redirected to the actual home page and most people will visit via a link from another site or a search engine anyway.
There's a related post on the ProductCart wiki about moving the home page to the root - which also states that there is no advantage in doing so. The instructions are given anyway for those that believe otherwise.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic