ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home Page Text

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Page Text
    Posted: 19-March-2016 at 3:03pm
The home page is one of the most important pages on a site, yet we don't have the ability modify the <h1> tag text, it still uses antiquated table tags instead of css to generate tables, and there is no way to add text to the bottom of the page after featured items...

Can someone from ProductCart address these questions and possibly add them to a feature request list. Most of this seems to be not that hard to add, but if we add it manually, every time there is an update we would have to re add it.

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2016 at 3:28pm
Hi Ammonihah,

Productcart v5 doesn't use any table tags.  It uses a CSS-based layout.

You can modify the <h1> tag by editing the "languages" file, but also target it with CSS and/ or JavaScript to do other things, such as hide it or display an image.

I recommend opening a ticket so we can see a specific example of your page and understand which version of the software you use.  That will help us convert your requests into specs that we can put on our road map.

ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2016 at 3:37pm
Sorry, I'm a little riled up right now, but it is clear that product cart doesn't get it. There are a lot of users that don't know and don't want to know how to edit a language file. They want to do stuff from the UI. And as far is tables go, you have to understand that many users do really know the difference between table tags and creating div / css3 table looking code. They just want to make a table, put some stuff in it and move on. Productcart clearly is generating table tags.

Go to edit home page.

Click on the table icon
Choose a three column table
Go to advanced
View HTML
That looks like table tags to me.
The editor is antiquated. 
We need a editor that will generate CSS3 and use divs, not tables.
Most people are not programmers... they just want to use a UI to accomplish their tasks.

<table style="border-collapse:collapse;width:100%;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td><br />
</td>
<td><br />
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><br />
</td>
<td><br />
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2016 at 3:38pm
v5.1.00a

http://www.disasterstuff.com

ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2016 at 1:20pm
bump
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2016 at 2:03pm
Hi Ammonihah,

We will be moving the "language.asp" file into the control panel in an upcoming release.

By v5.3 merchants will not have to edit files for any common changes.

In the meantime, it is very simple to edit and if you open a ticket we can show you how.

Now, in regard to tables, ProductCart doesn't use them for layout.

It sounds like you are adding the table yourself via the HTML Editor.

So I think what you are suggesting is that the HTML editor generate a "table" with divs.

However, a table still has a place in HTML 5 for displaying tabular data.

So while I don't think we'll modify the table feature in the HTML Editor, I do hear your request to have more "Div-based" layout options in the HTML Editor.
ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2016 at 2:10pm
Matt, 

How do tables work with responsive design? Maybe I don't understand. Three columns on a table viewed on a phone will not float below each other where div's will from my limited understanding. Can you take two seconds and educate me on that?
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2016 at 2:44pm
Tables are still a great way to display tabular data in HTML5, but they are not responsive so shouldn't be used for layout (i.e. layouts intended to be responsive).

The HTML Editor is great for filling a section with text, images, tables, video, or general content.

We understand you are requesting an HTML editor that can output responsive div layouts.

However, the editor doesn't have the capability to generate complex responsive layouts.

If you click on the advanced tab you can paste in the following code to get a responsive, 3-column layout.

<div class="row">
  <div class="col-md-4"> </div>
</div>

This uses the Bootstrap grid system, which is built into ProductCart:

http://getbootstrap.com/css/#grid

ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2016 at 3:06pm
Since 65% and more like 75% of all shoppers are now shopping online using their phone or tablet, using tables is not really an option unless it is a one column table because responsive design is becoming a necessity. The future is responsive design according to Google, Bing, Yahoo and many other players. So That is a great bit of code that you gave me and since I have some experience I can probably get by using something like that or go to an external CSS HTML5 column generator, but long term, something has to be done for UI only store owners to be able to do this. Otherwise they have to go to very expensive programmers to do simple things. Thanks for your input.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic