ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't get mp4 video to play in Content Page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MGatESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't get mp4 video to play in Content Page
    Posted: 16-August-2018 at 3:21pm
I am trying to get an MPEG-4 video I uploaded to our host server to play in a Content Page in our ProductCart v5.2.10 (Bootstrap Blue theme).

I have tried using the <embed> tag and the HTML5 <video> tag, and both will not work.  The "embed" method won't even show on the page, and the HTML5 "video" tag will not work - it just shows the "poster" and grayed out controls, and nothing happens.

Here's the Video HTML5 tag I put in the page:

<video width="320" height="180" controls autoplay loop poster="https://www.endoscopy.com/images/videos/ESSRep123_poster_320x180.jpg">
  <source src="https://www.endoscopy.com/images/videos/ESSRep123.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag. Find: https://youtu.be/wRq20Dft6BM
</video>

FYI: Just noticed that the video attributes that are un-quoted, when I save the Content Page, ProductCart admin system is adding ' ="" ' to them (ie: controls becomes controls="")

So, what am I doing wrong?? Confused

Edited by MGatESS - 16-August-2018 at 3:24pm
~ Mark G.

ESS, Inc. - www.endoscopy.com
inn2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote inn2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2018 at 8:09am
The code looks right so the first thing I'd check is that the path to the source video is correct and that the video exists in the folder.

I created a static html page outside of productCart using your code with only the video in it and it is throwing the same error which elinates any coding clash.

It is saying the Invalid Source.

If the source is correct and you can see the video in the folder on the server there are 2 other possibilities.

1. Your Server does not support the MIME type for .mp4. If this is the case it can easily be added in IIS. I suspect this isn't the reason though as your video wouldn't run on the static page I created and uploaded to one of our servers.

2. Your hosting company is blocking the video. I know this sounds extreme but I did have it happen to me many years ago and their reason was they didn't allow it in case it was copyrighted. We run our own dedicated servers these days to provide hosting for our customers so its no longer a problem

Tim

Edited by inn2 - 05-September-2018 at 4:20pm
MGatESS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MGatESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by inn2 inn2 wrote:

2. Your webhost is blocking the video. I know this sounds extreme but I did have it happen to me many years ago and their reason was they didn't allow it in case it was copyrighted. We run our own dedicated servers these days to provide hosting for our customers so its no longer a problem

Yes, Tim.  It turned out that my webhosting company had to "allow" it.  Once they did that, it worked fine.  Thanks for the information.
~ Mark G.

ESS, Inc. - www.endoscopy.com
inn2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inn2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2018 at 4:27pm
Glad to be of help. If your experience was anything like mine you've most likely spent hours trying everything else and it would be the last place you'd think of looking.

I noticed that both my post and yours had been monetised by turning the word 'web host' into an ad link using some called vigl!nk. I guess the folks at ProductCart are trying to make a few extra pennies but it would be nice to know. My own company provides hosting so I'd rather not have a link to another hosting company in my posts.

Edited by inn2 - 05-September-2018 at 4:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic