ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with meta tags

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with meta tags
    Posted: 13-December-2005 at 4:20pm

Hey guys,

I've implemented the code change.  We'll see in a month or so if results are favorable or not.  Will let you know.  BUT, one thing I did notice is that we now lose the meta tags, or the individual identity in the meta tags for subcategory pages and product detail pages.  It would be nice to somehow pull those back in there so the pages will show the product name in the title etc, instead of all those pages showing the same default title, description tag etc.  They've lost their identites!! :)

Is that possible?

Thanks!  Jeff

Edited by dockgear - 13-December-2005 at 4:21pm
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2005 at 4:29pm

Jeff, that's not the way it should work. Look at the store that we used in our example (e.g. http://www.ormsbyeditions.com/productcart/pc/c197.htm). The product and category names are reflected in the <TITLE> meta tag as you browse the store.

Make sure that you are using the updated version of include-metatags.asp that is part of the download.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2005 at 12:34pm
We found the issue and posted a new set of files that fixes it. 2005-12-14_123256_ProductCart_SEO_HTM_Pages.zip
The ProductCart Team

watercrazed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watercrazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2006 at 4:10am
Another issue users might want to take into consideration is the problem of SE spaming,  I still need to do something about it but tagging every page title with the company name and tagline will probably create issues with google rankings.
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2006 at 12:13pm

Could you elaborate by providing a couple of examples? The meta tags are different on all product and category pages. They correctly tell the SE that the page is about a certain product or category. So there should be no risk of SE spamming.

The ProductCart Team

watercrazed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watercrazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 3:41am

I have about 800 hand done static pages and about 1200 cart generated pages

It is not so obvious now but orginally my catalog title was about 15+ words long, like my home page title with most of my money keywords woven in the sentence.

I was concerned when I noticed that every the page title had a 2 word category description and a 15+ indentical word tag based on my main catalog site title following it

http://www.ultimatewatermassage.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_h .asp?idCategory=86
http://www.ultimatewatermassage.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_h .asp?idCategory=78

the long title seems to work well on my home page and some major category pages, in my main site as long as each title is unquie and related to page content, in most/many of the 4 million plus result terms,the 1 and 2 positions in my field  have very long page title and very keyword heavy. But when that tag is repeated on every page It raises concerns.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic