ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > Apparel Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting rid of drop down in Apparel Product

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdunham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting rid of drop down in Apparel Product
    Posted: 21-June-2012 at 4:06pm
How would I make it so that if one of the options in an apparel product only has one available option, the drop down menu is removed and the one available option is listed in its place as text?

Here is a product on our site where there is only one option for "color":
http://www.knotandrope.com/Store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=620&idcategory=26

Thank you,
Jeff
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2012 at 4:15pm
That would require significant expertise Jeff. The dropdown is a form element, and Javascript processes those form elements in the process of the "add to cart" and other related actions.  I predict this will take a great deal of effort, potentially rendering this difficult to cost-justify.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2012 at 5:46pm
Hi,
  Take a look at http://www.productcarthost.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=133
This is an apparel product generated with a single set of options. e.g. Just length, not color & length.

I'll update the WIKI to make it clear that this is possible.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2012 at 6:43pm
Wish I'd read the WIKI first - it was already there. Should take my own advice a bit more often Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2012 at 8:15pm
Hamish,

I'm curious about your answer here, but the link to the store you posted doesn't work (product not available -- even with &adminPreview=1), and I'm not sure what you're referencing in the wiki.

Could you give us something to see here, please?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2012 at 8:36pm
Hi, Oops, I trimmed it a bit to far. Try http://www.productcarthost.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1334&idcategory=131
The admin pages are also accessible via our demo launch page : http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/addon-apparel-demo.asp
The Blue Rope demo product is an apparel product with only one option group (length) attached to it and used to generate the sub-products. The reason for using the options to generate the sub-products, even though it is a single option group is to allow the features of an apparel sub-product (e.g. weight etc) to be utilised.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2012 at 9:27pm
Thanks, Hamish ... but I don't see how that answer's Jeff's question:
Originally posted by jdunham jdunham wrote:

How would I make it so that if one of the options in an apparel product only has one available option, the drop down menu is removed and the one available option is listed in its place as text?

Here is a product on our site where there is only one option for "color":
http://www.knotandrope.com/Store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=620&idcategory=26

Jeff, 

One thing you could do that's a built-in step in the result I believe you are looking for is to set the sub-product for the option group that has only the one option as the default option. I think this was introduced in version 4.5a -- next to the Active check box, there's a "Default" radio button. Checking that will set that sub-product as the selected default when the page loads. 

I just set the example product Hamish mentions above to default to the first sub-product option this way so you can get a visual on this.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2012 at 3:13am
Hi Sean, The idea was to remove Blue as an option, because for this product it's not an option as the rope is only available in blue.
Your observation about setting the default sub-product is a good option though as it will set the color "option" to Blue so the customer no longer needs to set it, however the dropdown for color will still be there, so I expect many customers would click on it, if only out of curiosity about what other colors may be available. It is the least effort to implement though as the sub-products don't need to be re-built.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2012 at 4:01am
Thanks, Hamish.

I get it now: the (parent) product and the color are redundant, so no need to have the color option; the only real option is size/length.

I was too focused on the option being there in the first place.

For whatever the "default sub-product" option is worth, it would be better in this case to set the options to display as radio buttons. This would then cause the size/length options to display this way too, but these products don't appear to have many size/length options, so that wouldn't be much of a downside. 

In fact, the more I think about it, the more this might could be a very nice solution for the other products in this category as none of them have a color in their name, so some textual description of the color (e.g.: red & white mottled; green & white striped; orange).

What's more, the parent product has no price, so the "per foot price" could be set as the default, and then the page would load with a price rather than $0.00.

Ah, looks like Jeff has already set a couple of these products with these defaults (e.g. http://www.knotandrope.com/Store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=611&idcategory=26). Change the display to use radio buttons rather than "drop down menus", and I think this solution would be quite nice here, in this context.
jdunham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdunham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2012 at 9:10am
Thank you everyone for your replies. We just upgraded the version of PC a couple of week's ago and before the upgrade, and be I was brought on board, there was some code that was previously written to take the drop down away and of course with the upgrade, the code was over written.  I will continue with some of your suggestions and figure out what will work the best.  Especially since we are also in the middle of a complete re-design of the site.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic