ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Analytics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razorclicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 1:06pm
Everyone,
I apologize for coming across so rude. My assumption was that Early Impact's refusal to deal with this issue was due to their not supporting third party programs such as Google Analytics.

Bottom line, here's the problem:
  1. We have a ProductCart site.
  2. We are doing well.
  3. We can be doing better.
  4. We are using Google Analytics for data reporting.
  5. Google Analytics is underreporting data.
  6. Google Analytics is free - and does not offer a support team.
  7. ProductCart knows how ProductCart works.
  8. ProductCart knows how Google Analytics works.
  9. We need both ProductCart & Google Analytics to work well.
  10. We need help.
Anyone out there that is willing to do a paid troubleshooting consultation of our setup to track down what is going on?
Greg - I mean you too...
ITistic View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 2:22pm
Hi,

We'd be happy to work with you to resolve your problem. Please send me a private message here or contact me through our website.

Shawn Berg
Owner / Project Manager
(877) iTISTIC / (877) 484-7842
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2010 at 3:44am
An update on this issue.

Shawn ended up finding what the problem was (thank you Shawn!): apostrophes in the product name were causing a JavaScript error, which led to the order not being passed successfully to Google Analytics.

As soon as we located the issue, we created a fix and tested it successfully. Updated files have been posted to the ProductCart WIKI. Download them again. The only file that has changed is pc/inc-GoogleAnalytics.asp

We apologize for not finding the problem earlier.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2010 at 12:37pm
So was this an actual ProductCart bug with apostrophes not being escaped in the data sent to GA? Or is this something third party related with the guys GA setup?

Do I need to patch my code with this fix? Does it affect all installations?
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2010 at 12:55pm
Correct, it was a bug. The code was not properly handling product names that contained an apostrophe. When an order included a product whose name contained an apostrophe, there was a JavaScript error that resulted in the data not being passed successfully to Google Analytics, thus the order not being displayed there.

The vast majority of products do not contain an apostrophe in the product name, which is why the problem rarely surfaced. Still, we should have caught this earlier.

To fix the issue, download the latest Google Analytics files. As mentioned above, the only file that has been altered to correct this problem is pc/inc-GoogleAnalytics.asp.

Once you download the files, unzip them and upload the updated inc-GoogleAnalytics.asp to the "pc" folder. Note that the files to be downloaded are different depending on which tracking code your are currently using. See the WIKI for details.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Bosola 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosola 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2011 at 9:18am
I think Google Analytics is generally pretty unreliable. The other day I had some very strange looking stats and found out it was just a slitch in the system. They up-dated to the correct ones about four hours later.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2011 at 10:06am
Hi, I think it's pretty unfair to damn GA on one incidence which as you said yourself was a "glitch"! Google Analytics provides lots of potentially useful stats.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic