ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Google Crawl Errors Relating to SEO URL rewrite?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Crawl Errors Relating to SEO URL rewrite?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Crawl Errors Relating to SEO URL rewrite?
    Posted: 25-February-2011 at 6:39pm
Hello
I am running the new V4.1sp1 apparel add-on and have the Keyword Rich URL setting turned on so the user-friendly URLs are displayed. The other day I was on my google webmaster tools and noticed under Crawl Errors, that all my product pages are showing an 404 error.  Has anyone else looked at this on their google account?  It has me concerned, but I don't know if it is a problem or not and whether I should be turning off this feature and recreating my sitemap.xml file and my storemap.asp file with the normal query strings.

Anyone know about this and/or is there something I am doing wrong.

Thanks
Curt

Curt
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 6:57pm
Hey Curt. Could you post a couple of the crawl errors here so I can have a better idea of exactly what's happening? There are many things which can lead to a 404 error.
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 7:32pm
Here is a whole file full of them.
Each one is product page, and if you paste the link into your browser, you get 404 error.  However, you go through the category links through the website, like a user would go, these very same links work fine.

uploads/667/Web_crawl_errors.txt

Curt
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 8:32pm
The issue appears to be related to case sensitivity.

http://www.avalanche-ranch.com/rusticlighting/PC/Avalanche-Table-Lamp-Bear-304p35080.htm

http://www.avalanche-ranch.com/rusticlighting/pc/Avalanche-Table-Lamp-Bear-304p35080.htm

The second one works and it has a lower-case PC, while the first and broken one has an upper-case PC. It's hard to be sure what would be causing this without checking out your 404.asp and related files like pcSeoLinks.asp
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 8:40pm
So, if you just want it to *work* and for those links to forward, you can probably add this to your 404.asp at line 39:

if instr(strQ,"/PC/")>0 then
     strQ = replace(strQ,"/PC/","/pc/")
end if

What that should do is replace any /PC/ with /pc/ before the rest of the redirect is executed. What you might then end up with, however, is duplicate links. Here's a modified version of 404.asp with the change already made:
404.zip

*edit*

Please post your pcadmin/exportFroogle.asp file here. I bet you'll find something around like 568 which is making it generate those upper-case PC links:

'// SEO Links
                              '// Build Product Link
                              if scSeoURLs<>1 then
                                   strProductURL=SPathInfo & "pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=" & intIdProduct & "&idcategory=" & tmpIDCategory
                              else
                                   strProductURL=SPathInfo & "pc/" & removeChars(strProductName1) & "-" & tmpIDCategory & "p" & intIdProduct & ".htm"
                              end if
                              '//

That's how mine looks, and you can see that they're lower case. This is probably the issue, and it would probably be better to edit that file and fix the feed you're submitting to google rather than duplicate the links by accepting both upper and lower case.

Edited by Brett - 25-February-2011 at 8:48pm
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 8:49pm
Hi, case sensitivity usually = Linux hosting. Is this on a cloud based server? Some run virtual Windows on top of Linux from what I understand.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 9:00pm
What I want to know is how the feed was generated with an upper-case PC folder in the first place. According to the code on my site, it should always be generated with a lower-case PC. Maybe he has an old or modified version of the file.
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 11:05pm
Hello
I have looked at the sitemap.xml file and at my storemap.asp file and the storemap.html file I have on the site none of these files have a capitalized PC.  Do you really think that makes a difference?  This is on a semi-dedicated PC windows based computer.  It is at Tango Hosting.  I have asked them to comment on this as well, they say ProductCart developer problem.

Edited by avalight - 25-February-2011 at 11:07pm
Curt
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Brett Brett wrote:

What I want to know is how the feed was generated with an upper-case PC folder in the first place. According to the code on my site, it should always be generated with a lower-case PC. Maybe he has an old or modified version of the file.

Brett - what is the name of the file are you referring to here? 
Curt
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 1:21am
Sorry, I had the wrong file - that was the google shopping feed page. Go to genGoogleSiteMapA.asp and find around line 40:

if Right(SPathInfo,1)="/" then
          SPathInfo=SPathInfo & "pc/"          
     else
          SPathInfo=SPathInfo & "/pc/"
     end if

It should be in lower-case, but if yours is in upper-case that might be the cause of your problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic