ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want to disable the guest checkout!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highgravity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to disable the guest checkout!
    Posted: 08-November-2009 at 6:23pm
I have to say that we love everything about the upgrade to version 4 except for the guest checkout.
  • When we post a help desk note and they ordered as a guest, they can't get to the post.  This is a big problem.
  • The customers seem to be very confused when looking up their orders.
Is there anyway this can be disabled?  I'm sure its great for a lot of stores but it seems this should have been an added option, not the standard.

Desiree Knott
High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies
7164 S Memorial
Tulsa, OK 74133
(918) 461-2605
desiree@highgravitybrew.com
http://www.highgravitybrew.com

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2009 at 8:04pm
Hi Desiree,

This is currently not an option and changing the behavior will require some careful code editing.

The reason why this was not setup as an option is that the requests for the addition of a true guest checkout mechanism were so overwhelmingly "for" the feature that we decided to make it a default behavior.

We will reconsider this for a future release.

As for your current issues: you can switch the account type "on behalf of the customer": log in to review the customer's order using the unique Order Code and customer's e-mail address, then use the feature at the bottom of the order details page to convert to a registered account. You can use a temporary password for that purpose.

If you decide to go this route, you should add this to your Web site's "Terms & Conditions" so that it is documented why you take that step and what the consequences are (really, there are none other than the fact that you are creating a temporary password for the customer). Of course, you should also let the customer know, and provide him/her with the temporary password.

We hope this makes sense.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 7:56pm

This new feature is causing me a few problems as I have been using the customer ID as an account number in my accounting system.  Returning customers have started to use Guest checkout.  Is it an option to remove the Guest Checkout and continue button from the OnePageCheckout.asp page.?

BrianRoden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianRoden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 11:35am
We also are having problems with customers not being able to check their order status for physical products or not being able to get logged back in to download their digital products when they check out without registering a password. Most of it is "user error", people just not paying attention and closely following the instructions. But we can't just tell the customers "you're not smart enough to understand and follow directions."
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2010 at 3:21am
The ability to turn Guest Checkout "off" is being considered for inclusion in ProductCart v4.1. This version, however, will not be released for a couple of months.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 9:11pm
We have just released a mod for v4 which eliminates the option for a customer to check out as a guest.

The mod forces customers to create a password and thereby establish an account.

cpgmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpgmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2010 at 7:26pm
I just had some strange checkout problems with a couple of existing customers this week.  I don't know how they did it, they have ordered from us several times before, but they created a second "Guest" account while trying to place an order or somehow their cart got saved as a guest.  Unfortunately, they had trouble logging in and were given error messages when trying to checkout and lost their cart.  Thank goodness they called me.  I wonder how many didn't call.  I don't really know how to recreate what happened but I will be testing to see exactly what occurred.
Cindy

The Tasteful Garden

www.tastefulgarden.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2010 at 9:05pm

Hi Cindy,

There is an issue where customers can get rather stuck between registered and guest accounts. Greg Dinger first brought it up to EI and I confirmed that I had encountered it too. EI found the issue and I expect should have a patch for it pretty soon.

Meanwhile, if (as per the title of this thread) you are looking to eliminate the guest checkout option altogether, please see http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/widgets/thirdparty/guestcheckouteliminator
intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 6:07am
I am also having problems with the Guest checkout.

I think that the requests for this feature in verion 4 have been misinterpreted. The guest checkout feature was to be in additon to the existing 'create a new account' option not instead of it.

This is causing big problems for some of my customers who often have to access a customers account after they have placed an order.

It is good that Sean has created a Mod for this but I am concerned that if I use it how it will effect future versions which do allow the account creation.

I'll ask Sean seperately.

Nigel

Innerview
Productcart Platinum Reseller
Web Design/Hosting/Virtual Tours
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 6:17am
Hi Nigel,
     The ability to disable the guest checkout is on our priority list for the next version of ProductCart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic