ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want to disable the guest checkout!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 11:39am
Originally posted by intour intour wrote:

I am also having problems with the Guest checkout.

I think that the requests for this feature in verion 4 have been misinterpreted. The guest checkout feature was to be in additon to the existing 'create a new account' option not instead of it.

This is causing big problems for some of my customers who often have to access a customers account after they have placed an order.

It is good that Sean has created a Mod for this but I am concerned that if I use it how it will effect future versions which do allow the account creation.

I'll ask Sean seperately.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thought I'd answer you here for the benefit of others as well.

As with all of our mods and add-ons we strive to leave as light a finger print on PC code as possible. Most everything is broken out into custom files to mitigate aganst issues with upgrades. This mod, for example, uses a custom version of the one page checkout. If 4.1 includes this option, it will effectively nuetralize the mod automatically.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 12:26pm
We are indeed working on changes to the One Page Checkout system for version 4.1.

As soon as these changes are ready for BETA testing, we will point out test stores where everyone can see the updated behaviors and interfaces and provide feedback.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 6:39am
Hi Hamish,

There is another issue with the checkput procedure that needs addressing.

In version 4 as it stands there is no option for a customer to create a new account when checking out. They either have to be an existing customer or checkout as a guest.

This means that if they want to return to the store to check their previous orders they cannot do it as they have no password to login.

Nigel

Innerview
Productcart Platinum Reseller
Web Design/Hosting/Virtual Tours
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 7:20am
Hi Nigel,
     The Guest Checkout supports both guest checkout and creating a new account. The only difference is that a customer who goes through the checkout without setting a password is a guest checkout and one who sets a password gets a regular account.
Customers who checkout as guests out get sent info via email which allows them to view their order.

Hamish 
cpgmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpgmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 9:27am
Even though the customer is a "New Customer", the wording of the only choices are between an existing customer and "Guest Checkout" is confusing.  We changed the languages file to make the choice as "New Customer" instead of "Guest Checkout" and then when they are offered to save a password in the opcheckout , this is a bit more clear. 

One thing I don't understand is why they have to enter their password twice.  We don't ask them to enter their email twice although I get more incorrect emails than errors on passwords.  Entering it twice seems to be too much effort for most people and they just click on "No Thanks" since it is easier. 

IMHO, customers should not have to enter the password twice, then more customers would actually create accounts which is what we want them all to do!  Also, why does the Guest Checkout code have to be so looonnnngg?  If you have to hand type those numbers it is a real pain!

Here is my revised Checkout page

Cindy

The Tasteful Garden

www.tastefulgarden.com
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 9:32am
I think I see where Nigel is coming from.  The Guest Checkout does indeed give the option to set a password on the one page checkout screen and become a registered user and it even gives the "guest" the option to become a registered user after they have ordered.  What isnt obvious is how they can become a "registered user" if they want to. 

It may just be down to the displayed wording or terminology.  The options at the start of the checkout process might look to new customers as though a registered user is a club to which they do not belong (and have no way of belonging to).  In other words, it is not obvious that a registered user = a guest user with a password.

As an aside to this, I just wanted to add that I too am in favour of the proposal to make guest checkout an optional store setting in V4.1.  I think it a great option for many stores but will not work for us as we need to engage with the customer via the built in Helpdesk after they order.

Matt

Edited by mattprice - 03-March-2010 at 9:37am
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 9:34am
Cindy, you beat me to the post here Smile  but I think we were both on the same wavelength in that the options are confusing at checkout.
cpgmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpgmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 9:49am
Yes, I agree they can be confusing but really after changing the wording, I haven't had any complaints.  I don't mind letting folks use the guest checkout but the double password is really stopping so many from just adding a password that it really is amazing.  The psychological side of just having to enter one more thing is too much for them.  

We use the contact form primarily and the help desk is available but not our only means of communication so we aren't really worried about whether or not they sign up for an account.  I would prefer to turn off the "No Thanks"  which would force them to enter a password and turn off any future messages that come up about guest checkout.  That would be extremely helpful I think.

Edited by cpgmar - 03-March-2010 at 9:52am
Cindy

The Tasteful Garden

www.tastefulgarden.com
highgravity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highgravity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 10:49am
Well, I don't see a problem with entering the password twice.  Every website that I've ever registered on requires you to input the password twice.  It is for good reason. It is easy to mistype what you are entering when the characters are hidden.
Desiree Knott

High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies

7142 S Memorial Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74133

(918) 461-2605

desiree@highgravitybrew.com

http://www.highgravitybrew.com

intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 10:51am
Hi Cindy,

I was looking at the code on the onepagecheckout.asp earlier today and it looks like a fairly simple job to change it to a single password entry.

I'll try it out and if it works ok I'lls end you the file.

Nigel
Innerview
Productcart Platinum Reseller
Web Design/Hosting/Virtual Tours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic