ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions > ProductCart v4.5
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIdeas for 4.5 or beyond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas for 4.5 or beyond
    Posted: 14-May-2011 at 9:19pm
Looking over the redesigned 4.5 control panel, a few comments

Very happy news to see default meta tag admin as well as the add-this feature built into the store.  Having Google Analytics built in will save a LOT of hassle - thank you.

A few changes I'd like to encourage EI to consider.  I think that some of these would take minutes to implement and almost no testing if you would consider them for 4.5.

CP home page:
===========
I note that you removed the monthly sales breakdown (by month, for the current year.)  I think some customers are going to find that a disappointing absence, and I predict being asked to perform custom alterations to restore that.  May we have it back please?

In the same report area of the CP home page, a client recently asked that we list Average Sales per month.  May we have that included along with the above please, at least on a switch-selectable basis?

Again on the CP home page, a client had us alter it so that dependent upon what permissions a user has, they see part of the home page instead of nothing.  If they are entitled to orders, they see order-related data.  If they are allowed the customer menu, they see such data.  Similarly product data.

Site administration tasks I would like to see introduced:
=======================================
- Optionally delete the physical images when a product is deleted
- Clearing cplog files, shipping label purge, cleanup of the xml/exports folder, cleanup of CSV exports, imports, etc. 

Generate Storefront Category Navigation:
=============================
Every store we build, providing we remember to do so, we have to alter genCatNavigation.asp with comments about what class and ID names are to be assigned for the proper styling assignments.   Please give us a way to either remember (permanently) the latest settings or to somehow store notes about what our users must specifiy for their custom navigation color/layout to be maintained.

Product and Category Admin:
====================
Don't recall the last site we built that did not involve adding one or more fields to the product table or category table.  What we do with those fields varies widely.  They tend to be checkbox on/off fields, or extra text input fields. 

If all you did was to add a few fields, as discussed previously, where these fields would not go anywhere - just make them available for use if we need them - I cannot begin to tell you how much work (and merchant $) that would save.  you don't have to support them elsewhere in the code, just provide some extra fields we can choose to use if and when needed.

Pages admin:
==========
Pleaes provide a setting to turn off ALL instances of the "back" button on the content pages.  Frequently we never want to use that button at all and end up editing viewContent.asp to hide/remove that button reference.

Newsletter Wizard:
=============
I would banish this and remove the feature altogether. It can be the source of immense grief at the hosting end of these sites.

Online Help - Error Finder:
==================
Please add IP number to the main display so that it can become evident when the same IP is the source of multiple error messages.  Those errors may indeed be the result of custom programming, but having the IP present on the main page would be a huge assist.

(Thank you for placing a warning on the purge log feature!)

GreyBeard Design Group
Certified ProductCart Developer
Web Design/Development/Hosting
Add-Ons & Custom Code | Stores
hhsign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhsign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 4:46pm
I agree with Greg. We use the Monthly Sales breakdown all the time so we can very quickly check the trend from the previous year and compare it with the current year to see how we are doing and if we need to make any changes to bring sales back up. Please do not remove the Monthly Sales Chart.
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 2:25pm
I would like to see a better way to import additional images, instead of the one by one BS that is required now.
Curt
Dayv3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2012 at 2:22am

I think a nice feature to add is a note at the top of the page where it says that the store is open
(v4.5) a message telling how many customers are on the site.

This would be helpful because if it you need to shut the site down you can minimize the chances
of stopping someones shopping experience.

The forum software has a similar feature on the bottom of the main page.

Edited by Dayv3 - 19-February-2012 at 2:22am
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2012 at 10:45am
you can get that now by installing one of the many available chat programs.  I have clients who use, and like, boldchat.com
GreyBeard Design Group
Certified ProductCart Developer
Web Design/Development/Hosting
Add-Ons & Custom Code | Stores
prosystems View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2012 at 12:02pm
Customer found this and I thought I would share it for him:

Ebay reccomended this software to simplify shipping...
It seems to integrate with a lot of of e commerce software, but product cart is not listed. Maybe something ProductCart should be looking into.

http://www.shipworks.com/

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic