ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a way to assign sub-categories t

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
1stChoice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a way to assign sub-categories t
    Posted: 18-August-2006 at 12:30pm

Have you seen any PC sites that allow the user to filter the categories and subcategories by brand "from within" those category pages?

Wes
http://www.sohotoolkit.com
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 12:15pm
Okay - you can now add a link in your menu structure to 'view by brand' or similar that points to viewbrands.asp (in v3).

This will show a page to enable you to select the various brands and see the products associated with it.

It uses an image and text description.   If you don't want an image, create a tiny blank image in your background colour and it will appear as though there isn't any image.

cheers
Mark
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 3:13am

In v3 which I use, there is an option to view the brand in the store front (and on the product detail page).

Then you get a 'brands' link in your category navigation which you can click and see all the brands established.  Then click on a brand to see their products.

cheers

Mark

1stChoice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 2:53am

Ok; I've setup brands and assigned products to them. I'm now browsing by categories and subcategories but don't see any option available to show only products of a certain brand. Is there a setting I need to enable for this?

I see the shop by brand link on the side; this is working fine.

Thanks!

Wes
1stChoice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 1:09am

So in Ed's example one would browse into Birthday Cards and see all of the Birthday card thumbs..... they would then have the option to filter the birthday cards by "brand/theme" ....

Is the brand/theme filter in a drop down box? Or presented as theme thumbnails above the products?

Wes
edwardmills View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardmills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 5:03pm

Thanks again, Mark, for the quick reply.

ed

MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 1:06pm
Yes it will work.

Categories and sub-categories can be viewed as lists or as dropdowns.

To make it 'feel' like it's not just about brands, just modify the terminology in landuages.asp  (it's a very simple file and could be done easily in a text editor and uploaded).

cheers
Mark
edwardmills View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardmills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 12:32pm
Hi there

I'm also interested in this "brand" feature. We'll be selling many cards in many different categories. Let me run an idea by you to see if you think it will work.

A category structure, without using the brand feature would look something like this:

Greeting Cards
        Everyday Cards
              Birthdays
                  Cats
                  Dogs
                  Etc.
               Anniversary
                  Cats
                  Dogs
                  Etc.
              Etc.

As mentioned in the post above, having multiple subcategories that are the same is not the most elegant solution. So here's what I'm thinking as an alternative:

Greeting Cards
        Everyday Cards
              Birthdays
              Anniversary
              Thanks
              Etc.

Then create "brands" (renamed to "themes" or something like that) for:
       Cats
       Dogs
       Animals
       Etc.

Will that work? Will customers be able to search by category and brand/theme? Can they search at the same time. Again, there's a great example of this functionality over at http://www.leanintree.com/ They have two drop down boxes in their search form, one for category and another for theme.

Thanks for you feedback.

ed

1stChoice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stChoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 6:49pm

Thanks; I'll give this brand option stuff some thought...

Wes

Wes
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 6:20am

I had a further think on this.

In addition to categories in v3 you also can set up brands as well.  This might be a useful thing to do (of course in reality, it doesn't have to be just a brand, it could be anything).

By modifying the language in languages.asp (in the includes folder) you can redefine the terminology used in your store - so brands could become something else.

This might prove useful to a multi-category / product-type store such as yours,

cheers

mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic