ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meta Tag Title

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meta Tag Title
    Posted: 29-November-2012 at 12:11pm
Hi Friends,

When I view a Brand page from IE or FireFox and reverse click to "view page source," I see the following:

<TITLE>
Search Results - Then my Stores Company Name</TITLE>
Very frustrating when I install a good title in the brand meta tags title for that brand.

What I would like to see is

<TITLE>The the proper title tag that I generate</TITLE>

I hope you can help or give some direction.

LittleSmokey

A long time user of ProductCart since 2002.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 1:34pm
in the file include-metatags.asp, look for references to "scCompanyName".  You can see logic in there that is adding that string to the title tag.  Shouldn't be a lot of effort to disable that.  Let me know if you need a hand.
littlesmokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 2:02pm
Thanks Greg.  Before, I jumped on the forum, I opened the include-metatags.asp file and saw it, but I did not know if I should replace it or just empty out the csCompanyName between the quotes.

I had hope to get rid of the "Search Results -" test showing up in the meta tag titles.  Can this be done in the includes-metatags.asp  file?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 2:07pm
I meant to write: I had hope to get rid of the "Search Results -" too that showing up in the meta tag titles.  
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 3:26pm
Hi LittleSmokey,

Here's the problem. There is a bug in PC here, and then you also want to get rid of the - CompanyName.

For the latter, open showsearchresults.asp and find the following:
pcv_DefaultTitle = pcv_DefaultTitle & " - " & scCompanyName

change that to:
' Modified to remove company name
'pcv_DefaultTitle = pcv_DefaultTitle & " - " & scCompanyName
pcv_DefaultTitle = pcv_DefaultTitle

Then, to fix the bug, open include-metatags.asp and find the following:
if pcStrPageName = "showsearchresults.asp" then
Title = dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_ShowSearch_50") & " - " & scCompanyName
end if

change that to:
 if pcStrPageName = "showsearchresults.asp" then ' Modified to use brand meta tag, if available if len(pcv_DefaultTitle&"") > 1 then Title = pcv_DefaultTitle else Title = dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_ShowSearch_50") & " - " & scCompanyName end if end if 

Edited by Sean@WMS - 29-November-2012 at 3:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 4:09pm
It worked!  Thank you Sean!

I am so glad not to bug our friends at ProductCart to make the fix.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 4:09pm
I meant to say that was darn awesome!
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 4:50pm
FYI, we have added this to our bug list to be fixed in the next release. Thanks for pointing it out and resolving!
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 5:09pm
Early Impact

Thanks for the notice.

Little Smokey
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2012 at 1:53am
LittleSmokey - sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.  I got caught up in some extracurricular activities today as a massive storm swept through our region.  It's Winter baby, and it's all coming at once, or so it seems at the moment!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic