ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > Mobile Commerce Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mobile Site title not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razor150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mobile Site title not working
    Posted: 25-January-2012 at 7:10pm
Love the addon, but for some reason I can't get the addon to see the title for the page.

Here is the mobile test page.
https://southshore.rings-things.com/cart/m/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9039&idcategory=440

Here is the actual test page
https://southshore.rings-things.com/cart/pc/SmartBead-Gold-Filled-Bamboo-3x6mm-Limited-Stock-440p9039.htm

Was there a fix for this or did I miss some configuration to get it to work?

Thanks.

Edited by razor150 - 25-January-2012 at 7:10pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2012 at 7:56pm
I think you are correct. I looked at a pair of mobile sites we built and they don't have a title tag either.

Looks like this is the issue/.  The following code appears in header.asp
if pcv_PageName<>"" then%>
<title><%=pcv_PageName%></title>
<%end if%>

However, pcv_PageName is not defined in include-metatags.asp, or anywhere else that I see on quick review.  EI, is there a fix here?

As we are in the midst of building a number of mobile stores (for example, http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/m/), and we've found other small issues with the mobile add-on, I'll share other thoughts. 

The following may help others who are working on their own, and I'm also hoping this post will help influence EI's direction on the next release of the code.

For starters, the M directory does not contain a mobile version of viewContent.asp.  We could link to that page in the PC folder, but desktop content pages are frequently built with large images, not suitable for display on a mobile browser.  Our approach is to create a copy of viewContent.asp, place that in the M folder, and alter it to reference the M version of the header. 

However, then we're confronted with the image size issue, so we are creating duplicates of the various content pages, and redesigning them (without large images), and these are the pages we point to in the M store.

I'm about to experiment with SEO-friendly URLs in the mobile store (which is not currently suported).  Since any folder can have a distinct 404-handler assigned to it, I will be copying the 404-related files to the M folder, and see if I can get SEO-friendly URLs to play nice in mobile. 

That takes us to the matter of links.  Products, categories and content pages may contain links to other pages in the desktop store.  So I'm considering a replace function that seeks out those "/productcart/pc/" links and points to the M "/productcart/m/" equivalents. 

In the above store, we coded into the footer the necessary logic to cause links to categories on the home page.  It would be nice if that were dynamic, and switch-selectable.  Also nice to be switch-selectable would be the category description which we added to another mobile store.

EI, I know ya'all are buried like the rest of us, but I hope that some of the above thoughts might give you some ideas about how to grow the application.

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2012 at 1:11am
The meta tags are included in the latest version. Just check for updates in your control panel.  The 4.5 SP has a link to the mobile updates in the readme.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2012 at 9:42am
Will 4.5 MS work with 4.1 store base code?  I have enough mobile installs that we cannot upgrade the base stores to 4.5 fast enough, and would prefer not to wait for this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic