ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from shared hosting to VDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 6:11pm
Ludwig,
Your connection string in general looks fine but there are more variables that need to be considered in how your server is configured, what ports are open or closed, etc.  But, that is not the real problem here.   Something that caught my eye in your post ... you are trying to use SQLExpress?????

I have posted on this topic several times before so I will summarize by saying that you should NEVER use SQL Express for a Public Facing database and certainly not for an online store.  This "recommendation" not only comes direct from Microsoft but has also been given as a "recommendation" from Early Impact in the product documentation as well as from very seasoned DBA's such as myself that have tons of experience working on and administering the ProductCart Database for hundreds of customers over the years.

Suffice it to say that SQL Express is meant as a development tool and/or as a personal 'free' database ONLY.  It uses the same engine as the full blown version but it is not, let me repeat ... it is NOT the same as the full version of the software.  Can ProductCart run on this platform, sure.  will it run well on this platform - absolutely not given that Express is resource limited and does not contain the management tools needed for a public facing website.  Just because you can do it, does not mean that you should do it.

Now with that said, running you own servers is expensive but part of that investment is making sure you have the right software for the applications you are running.  You should get with your server provider and ask them to provide you with MSSQL2008 Web Version at the very minimum.   This version is more than adequate to serve your database.  If they say they cannot provide you with this software then I would suggest you find another provider quick.  There are several of us on the forums that specialize in hosting ProductCart and offer a full range of hositng solutions (shared, VPS, dedicated, cloud, etc.)

On that note, and I see many people ignore this, but just in case you are setting up your servers this way .... you should not ever run your Website and your Database software on the same server (virtual or not).  Coming from the source again on this, Microsoft tells you this, Early Impact makes this "recommendation" in the documentation, and once more, DBA's such as myself are telling you this.  There are many technical reasons for this ranging from competing bandwidth and resource sharing but if you are ever looking towards PCI Compliance, the requirement states pretty clearly (although some may try to argue the point when there is nothing to argue) that your website, database and DNS servers need to be separate resources.   Not going to debate PCI here and I offer that tidbit only to show there are all kind of experts out there, myself included, that are telling people not to do these things.  It is for good reason. 

-----

Unfortunatly that is about as far as I can go on this topic primarily because in good concience, I cannot assist any users that are using or want to use SQL Express as their stores database.  This is nothing personal but rather that I have had to move quite a few databases where customers been using Express and end up having problems.  I just made it my own company policy not to work on SQL Express installations unless we are moving them out of that setup.

Edited by cognecy - 10-April-2012 at 6:52pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 6:11pm
One other thing to try if you are receiving the 'generic' database connection error (which is likely suppressing the actual/real error). Try applying the Code Debugging tip for the Control Panel as detailed in the following WIKI article:

That might allow the raw error to be shown.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 7:06pm
I've never run the store on SQL Express but since getting a Virtual Dedicated Server, I was trying to see if it would work even though I know everyone recommended against it, so I will try to buy a better version and see how that goes. And also, I will use that link that's exactly what I am been looking for.
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 7:18pm
So if you recommend to have the database hosted separate from my store, what about just leaving my database on the shared hosting and accessing it from there? So my store files would be on the Virtual Dedicated Server and I would use a connection string that pulled the database from my current shared hosting account. Would that be a problem? Please say it will work, that will be so easy and cheap and I won't have to use buy SQL Server which is EXPENSIVE.

Edited by Ludwig - 10-April-2012 at 7:19pm
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 8:01pm
That is perfectly acceptable.  I have done that with many of my own customers that could not afford 2 VPS servers.  You will also get the benefit of a beefier server using the Host's shared server.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 9:48pm
Well, it worked, unbelievable... I simply setup a new database on my shared hosting restored a backup of my PC database and went to the URL from my admin hosted on my VPS and BAM! Loaded right up. The new problem is that it will not accept my login and I'm 100% positive it's the same username and password from my live site, is there a reason for this? And if I click forgot password and put the main numerical admin name it says not found, don't know if this is because of the different domain or what but the login definitely doesn't work.

Edited by Ludwig - 10-April-2012 at 9:49pm
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 9:54pm
Edit

Edited by Ludwig - 10-April-2012 at 10:08pm
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 10:29pm
You did not really specify this was a separate shared hosting account ... was assuming that you had a control pane that allowed you to establish a DB on either your server or the shared server.  I am assuming the shared account and your Servers are being supplied by the same company/host?  If so then it really should not matter.  As long as you have the server alias (e.g.  sql.somecompany.com) the DB username, and the password you can set your connection string accordingly.   If this is your scenario then you need to contact the hositng provider and have them assist you with connections.  It may be as simple as allowing the IP of your VPS server on the SQL server. 

If your server and your shared hosting account are from two completely different hosts you might not be able to connect depending on restrictions on either side.  Also if they are different hosts your lag time will be so incredibly slow it is not worth it (due to sending requests across two different networks)

I think either way when it comes to connecting it is best to contact the host. 

Edited by cognecy - 10-April-2012 at 10:30pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 10:49pm
Well we are connecting fine, but the login on the admin panel isn't the same as the main site, is there a reason for that? We are using a subdomain of the live site's domain on the VPS which the new store will be hosted on, but I know for 100% the same login pass for the live site is not working on the VPS store and I just backed up the live database and restored it directly to a shared hosting account which is the same provider as the VPS.

I'm not sure if moving this means I need a new encryption key for the store constants or what, but it won't login even though it will display the admin login page fine which it didn't do before.
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 9:05am
my current live site is using MS SQl 2005 and I restored the database to MS SQL 2008 could that have messed up the login/pass to the admin somehow? I don't understand why it won't let me login, even using the retrieve login or password says the admin email which I know is the one on the live site is not valid.

Edited by Ludwig - 11-April-2012 at 9:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic