ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New To BTO Customizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New To BTO Customizing
    Posted: 07-May-2010 at 1:42am
Hi,
 I finally got the installation done, looks good so far. I am running into issues, first off I am no professional I am just getting by with the tuts and what not. This is the page so far

http://xtreme-hps.com/shop/pc/msg.asp?message=304

Compared to this

http://www.xtreme-hps.com/

Almost there, I am having an issue with the store staying turned off it won't turn on no matter what I do in the control panel. Another issue is how wode that bar is, I would like to resize it so its the width of my header so it matches, is this possible? If I can figure these out I should be ok to go. What am I missing?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 1:51am
Please review this page:

If you don't have these statements in your header and footer files, the store will report that it is closed as you have shown us:
include file="inc_header.asp"
include file="inc_footer.asp"

Bruno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 1:55am
Ok what about the width of the error box? Can I change that?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 2:02am
it appears you are optimizing for a very wide screen resolution.  You may wish to look at the site at something like 1024x768 and understand what it looks like for those users.

Then, regardless of what you may or may not change about the width of the page layout - you  may want to set a width for class="pcErrorMessage" in your CSS file.
Bruno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 2:11am
Hi
I got the site set at 1280x1024. :) also will the rest of the store be as wide as that box? Would be nice if it would fit together.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 5:14pm
To see the likely impact on customers of an overly wide/long  site design see http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/  where you can put in a URL and it overlays viewability info over the top and which also gives percentages on the number of users that will need to scroll to "appreciate" an overly wide website. Customers are really not keen on scrolling sideways!!  
Bruno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 5:57pm
You don't have to scroll sideways on my site.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 6:12pm
Bruno,

the issue with your design is simply that header.asp and footer.asp have not been properly set to "contain" the ProductCart code. In your code you have a table that is closed in header.asp, instead of being opened there and closed in footer.asp.

Right now the message shown on http://xtreme-hps.com/shop/pc/msg.asp?message=304 stretches across the entire width of the screen because there is no design element that is setting its width. Since the main ProductCart DIV is set to fill 100% of the parent, and since there is no parent, it fills 100% of the screen size.

Fixing the problem should take less than 1 minute.

From a very quick look at the code, the problem is simply that you have:

<table width="820" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
   <td width="289" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="description">
   <p align="center"> </p>
   </td>
</tr>
</table>

... entirely in header.asp.

Instead, as mentioned above, you need to end header.asp with the opening tag for your "container" design element, which in this case is the table cell in this table.

So header.asp should end with:

<table width="820" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
   <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="description">

... and footer.asp should begin with:

</td>
</tr>
</table>

We removed the width from the table cell because it seemed inconsistent with the width of the table.

We hope this helps.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 7:29pm
Hi Bruno,
     My comments were based on the fact that you said the site design was 1280 * 1024px.
If you take a look at the results for your site using the Google tool you will get an idea of the percentages of site visitors that will need to scroll sideways to view the site and it's not insignificant.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Hamish Hamish wrote:

Hi Bruno,     My comments were based on the fact that you said the site design was 1280 * 1024px.If you take a look at the results for your site using the Google tool you will get an idea of the percentages of site visitors that will need to scroll sideways to view the site and it's not insignificant.

I'd like to second Hamish's comment and Greg mentioned this above too.

I remember the first web site I ever built way back right after Al Gore invented the Internet (sorry, I still get a chuckle out of that). I build it for MY screen resolution only to be dismayed at what others were seeing on their 800 x 600 resolution.

You can't build your site for yourself. You have to build it for the demographic. I'd recommend not going over 1000px wide (as you need the other 24px for the vertical scroll bar). I'm also not a big fan of fluid width either as some folks can have extremely wide view ports and things can just fall apart and look horrible on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic