ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem getting the SEO mod to work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem getting the SEO mod to work
    Posted: 01-January-2009 at 9:11pm
I am on version 3.5 Apparel Add-on.  I uploaded the files per the instructions.  When I hover over the category links, I see the newly generated url strings, but the links don't work.  I just get my page not found html.  My include-metatags.asp are in the header.asp file.  (How does the header.asp even get launched, anyway?)
I have no idea where to start with problem solving this.
Thanks
Curt
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 9:28pm
header.asp is "launched" as a result of an include tag that references it on each page.

Did you set 404.asp as the 404 page handler in IIS or via your control panel?
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 10:30pm
No, I put my custom "page not found" html on the control panel of my webhost.  I will give that a try...I wondered about why the documentation talked about the error handling on the webhost, when nothing was about this was mentioned...too much NY eve spirits, me thinks.

Curt
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 11:27pm
Ah ha!  That did it!  After a couple of failed attempts, the key is to put the 404.asp in the productcart/pc folder, and then put that address on the webhost 404 page handling.
Okay, overall, it took a little longer than 30 minutes, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I could beat that time.  It is a good thing I had my back ups, so that I could restore the files the first time when I could not get them to work.  Glad you check this site alot Greg.  Someone should get that wiki article updated. 
Curt
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 12:31am
I believe that the wiki article http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/seo-urls is accurate.  There is a link to a pdf http://www.earlyimpact.com/temp/SEO/ProductCart_SEO_HTM_Pages_v3.pdf which describes on page 2 (of 4) the need to associate the 404.asp page with the IIS 404 error handler.  If there is a point you feel should be better illustrated, however, I'm sure EI would like to know your view as to what change might be more helpful.

I'm glad you got it done.  As a note, there is also a reference to SEO friendly pages pages, and pertains to pages created with the built-in CMS tool.  If you have pages in your site using the CMS you may also want to follow that set of instructions.
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 12:39pm
Yes, I think the instructions need to be clearer on this point.  It says you must be able to access to changing the error handling and that it must be directed to a html file, but the article doesn't specifically say, go to your webhosting site and change your 404 redirect to this new 404.asp file.  You kinda have to infer that from what is written.  All is well.
Curt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic